• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Contractor

Hello guys,

I have decided to move into the world of contracting.

I have never done a contract before so what things to I need to do before I can start applying for contracts ?

ATM, I have signed up to a recruitment agency and they have setup afew interviews for me. They use umbrella companies to mange accounts. I am alittle concerned they might ask for 'certain' info of which I am unaware. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Before the hoards slaughter you...

Have you read any of the content in the guides listed -> ?

Umbrella companies are fine for a first toe in the water but read the First Timers section for other ways of managing your financial affairs as a contractor.

Also be aware that agents may not look after your best interests. If you are determined to be a contractor then the best thing to understand is that only you can look after yourself and blaming others down the line for decisions you make now are no good. Do your research and base your decisions on this. If you have more specific questions then post them in the Accounting / Legal or Business / Contracts sections, you are unlikely to get the best response in this section of the forum.

Good luck.

Comment

New meat. Yum.

Comment

As Admin said, if you bend over we'll wipe you're arse for you as well..

try doing a bit of research for starters reading the First Timers section over on the right, then read the Sticky and ask questions that show you have atleast done your research other than "hi, I'm new to all this, tell me everything you know and have learnt"..
        Last edited by chef; 6 December 2010, 15:17.
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Hordes.

HTH.

where's the drinks cabinet?
          and his pron stash Take a look at that film collection
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            As Admin said, if you bend over we'll wipe you're arse for you as well..

try doing a bit of research for starters reading the First Timers section over on the right, then read the Sticky and ask questions that show you have atleast done your research other than "hi, I'm new to all this, tell me everything you know and have learnt and I will accept it for free"..
            Bit harsh.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              Bit harsh.
              But fair

Comment

Bit harsh.
                agreed, I assumed they would accept it for free.. edited
                Last edited by chef; 6 December 2010, 15:19.
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Bit harsh.
                  Could have been HAB. He may have offered more than the wiping!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Could have been HAB. He may have offered more than the wiping!
                    but would he give him a reacharound?
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X