• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain Freezes to death

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain Freezes to death

oh dear.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Britain is freezing to death

Looks like the severe winters will get worse over the next 10 years.

...anyway the government is planning a massive investment in wind turbines so that should help.
    I'm alright Jack

What about homeless people, or aren't they including in the mortality figures? They must be pretty tough, as I see them sitting on the cold pavement in -10 C weather. Where do they go at night?

Comment

Surely the turbines can be used to blow the cold weather back to Siberia.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Surely the turbines can be used to blow the cold weather back to Siberia.
        Only 20% of the time. The other 80% will have to be done by Combined Cycle Gas Turbines. Oh yes, and a load of your taxes.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Countries like India and China are putting fast breeder and Thorium reactors on-line currently, and if that comes off we will be laughing for hundreds or perhaps thousands of years. Except when it comes to buying Thorium off India maybe. I do hope our next generation of nuclear reactors will be of a type that can be easily converted to using Thorium.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Countries like India and China are putting fast breeder and Thorium reactors on-line currently, and if that comes off we will be laughing for hundreds or perhaps thousands of years. Except when it comes to buying Thorium off India maybe. I do hope our next generation of nuclear reactors will be of a type that can be easily converted to using Thorium.
            Agreed. Maybe the ~£1b we gave India might be better spent if we decided to follow the Thorium route instead of turning the country into a glorified hairdressing saloon.
            Last edited by hyperD; 6 December 2010, 15:51. Reason: Looked up true cost of donation

Comment

There's no demand for nuclear power stations in the UK. We've got more than enough weapons grade material.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                Agreed. Maybe the £8m we gave India might be better spent if we decided to follow the Thorium route instead of turning the country into a glorified hairdressing saloon.
                £8m? A good fraction of a £billion over a few years isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  £8m? A good fraction of a £billion over a few years isn't it?
                  Yes I changed it because I thought it was too much, but I quickly checked up and it's about a billion over 3 years...

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    Yes I changed it because I thought it was too much, but I quickly checked up and it's about a billion over 3 years...
                    To be fair that's a drop in the ocean compared to the billions we took off them over the centuries. Not for nothing did all the aristocracy go to India to "make their fortune".
                    I sometimes think if we had been like Germany, who didn't have much of an empire and therefore a captive market, perhaps we'd be less lazy, have made better stuff and be more able to pay our way in the world now.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X