• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting credit references fixed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting credit references fixed

I was refused a business bank account through my current account bank, and it was only by begging that a member of staff told me off record that it was due to my credit record. So I paid for and got my credit file off Experian.

According to Experian I have a default. It is against a loan with NatWest.

So I explained to them it is an ongoing loan and I have not missed a payment; they said to contact NatWest as they merely pass on what they are told by the banks etc. They were a bit tulipty about me contacting them too.

So I contact NatWest. NatWest say what the credit reference companies say is nothing to do with them and that I must ask Experian to remove it.

So I passed this on to Experian and they re-emphasised they only give out what the banks etc. tell them and they will not action my request.

So I phoned the person at NatWest who had written to me and they - exasperated at having to talk to a customer - said the correct procedure is to tell Experian.

That was the point I gave up.

Have you managed to get an error in your credit file fixed? How?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Both are right.

But it is Natwest who will need to give instructions to Exeperian to have it removed.

CUK probably isn't the best forum for this
    advice. Try Martin Lewiss website. He has forms/letters about it and a good consumer forum.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Get a letter from NatWest saying that you're not in default for that particular loan. Send the letter with an explanation to Experian, Equifax and CallCredit.

They will in-turn contact NatWest with the relevant reference numbers to verify that what you say is correct and eventually your records will be updated.

Hth.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        CUK probably isn't the best forum for this advice.
        True. I forget there are other sites on the web.

Try Martin Lewiss website.
        www.moneysavingexpert.com Ta.

He has forms/letters about it and a good consumer forum.
        Ta muchly.

What to do if there's an error?

If you disagree with anything on your file, just write to the agency and request it's changed. If the agency agrees it should quickly change the file, though sometimes you'll need to talk to the company that originally filed the data.
        Been there. Done that.

Dealing with defaults on your file.
        One of the major problems people face are past debt defaults on your file, these can easily hamper most applications to get new credit and if they're genuine and fair are tough to deal with. There are a few things you can try though especially if the default is unfair.
        Complain to the Ombudsman. First write to the company and complain the default isn't fair and lay out your terms. Ask it to wipe the fault from your file, which it can do if it's disputed. If that fails, complain to the Financial Ombudsman the free independent arbiteur of disputes, it can rule both that the debt is unfair and that the default can be wiped.
        Hmm. I thought it might get messy.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

It's not messy. Just write a few letters. Even you can do it. Simples.

Comment

Had a similar experience with a Bank, primarily it that Banks responsibility but also it is the responsibility of credit reference agency. They must correct the records under the DPA (Data Protection Act) The data must be accurate. It is the Bank who has informed the credit agency. I got mine fixed plus an out of court settlement for compensation. In fact it was a very large sum in compensation.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Had a similar experience with a Bank, primarily it that Banks responsibility but also it is the responsibility of credit reference agency. They must correct the records under the DPA (Data Protection Act) The data must be accurate. It is the Bank who has informed the credit agency.
              WHS ++

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                I got mine fixed plus an out of court settlement for compensation. In fact it was a very large sum in compensation.
                Aha! And motivation too.

Comment

Working...
                X