• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aspirin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aspirin

I heard on the radio this morning that a regular low dose of aspirin could reduce cancer by about 20% in the 45 - 70 year olds.

I am seriously considering starting it

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

I've been taking Aspirin every day for years, so has my mum and she's 85 now.

Comment

Me too. 75mg is the dose apparently.

Boots Aspirin 75mg Enteric Coated Tablets - 56 Tablets - Boots

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I've been taking Aspirin every day for years, so has my mum and she's 85 now.
        Proof if ever there was any.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I use the Waitrose 75 mg coated variety.

Comment

Doesn't this news go in cycles? Currently we're in a good for you cycle, but until recently we were in a Aspirin does no good slump. A bit like chocolate.

Comment

But don't take it if you have, or don't want, stomach ulcers.

And if you start vomiting blood, you might want to stop. And if you don't, try not to think about the intestinal bleeding it causes. (Hence the heartburn, nausea and related symptoms.) Certainly don't start reading up on gastritis.

And don't take it with other blood-thinning agents. Nor if at risk of stroke. Or liver damage.

Nor if you don't fancy tinnitus.

And not when you have a fever.

And keep it away from your pets, especially cats.

Best not to think too much about the article in BMJ about aspirin resistance either. Nor the aspirin-induced asthma.

Don't take it with anything containing caffeine.

I wouldn't bother if you are prone to bruising easily. Or got surgery scheduled in the near future. Which means dental work, too.

And leave it alone if you've got kidney damage or taking medication that can itself cause kidney damage such as hypertension medication.

Did I mention the ulcers? That's really the main concern.

But I'm not a doctor, so just read the small print for yourself.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

And if you start vomiting blood, you might want to stop. And if you don't, try not to think about the intestinal bleeding it causes. (Hence the heartburn, nausea and related symptoms.) Certainly don't start reading up on gastritis.

And don't take it with other blood-thinning agents. Nor if at risk of stroke. Or liver damage.

Best not to think too much about the article in BMJ about aspirin resistance either. Nor the aspirin-induced asthma.

I wouldn't bother if you are prone to bruising easily. Or got surgery scheduled in the near future. Which means dental work, too.

And leave it alone if you've got kidney damage or taking medication that can itself cause kidney damage such as hypertension medication.

It's a worry about the stomach related side effects, however if it save you from having a heart attack, stroke or cancer is it worth the risk? Also you can get 75mg ones with a special coating for your stomach. I am mid 30s and was thinking about taking it?

Comment

Which is why you should check with your GP before taking any new medicine with existing medical conditions.

Incidence of gastric bleeding as a result of taking aspirin is about 1 in 20,000. With about 1 in 40 of those requiring hospital treatment as a result. These stats are based on a standard 300mg dose rather than the 75mg used in the study.

Which is why you should check with your GP before taking any new medicine with existing medical conditions.

If you are a rat taking extremely high doses of the stuff, possibly.

Which is odd, as that's exactly why you would take a standard dose, it's a proven and effective anti-pyretic.

As you should with any medicines including ibuprofen, paracetamol etc.

Asprin resistance only applies in those cases where it is prescribed for treatment of coronary conditions as it reduces the effect on platelets that is the beneficial outcome of taking it. Studies on resistance indicate it may affect anywhere from 5-25% of patients but nothing more conclusive has been done.

Asthma can be induced by any of the Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs of which Asprin is only one.

The reported side effects actually arose from use of slimming products containing high doses of Aspirin , Caffeine and Ephedrine. It was this combo in particular that caused the problems, afaik there are no known side effects of mixing Aspirin and Caffeine only and this combo is regularly sold in some cold treatments.

For the same reasons you shouldn't mix it with Warfarin. Oh and talk to your GP about taking if you have an existing medical condition.

From the results of the study, imo, the additional risk of stomach problems is far outweighed by the reduced risk of cancers, especially for those in high risk groups.

Talk to your GP and make up your own mind. I'll be taking from now on as I am in a high risk group and at the lower end of the age group it's recommended for.
                  Last edited by DaveB; 8 December 2010, 16:45.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Is there any research going on into paracetamol or ibuprofen? I bought 3 packs for £1 a year ago in Poundland. None of it seems to work for me as far as i can tell so I don't know why I bothered.

Comment

Working...
                    X