• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The safest way to travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The safest way to travel

YouTube - "Jokke Sommer - Dream Lines" Wingsuit Proximity Flying

Nice video. I wonder what low vertical speeds they can obtain for tens of seconds. To land (with a heavy duty roller skates or a ramp) they'd need to be moving at quite a rate of knots horizontally to have the lift needed to reduce vertical speed and deceleration. A landing would be most impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Nice video. I wonder what low vertical speeds they can obtain for tens of seconds. To land (with a heavy duty roller skates or a ramp) they'd need to be moving at quite a rate of knots horizontally to have the lift needed to reduce vertical speed and deceleration. A landing would be most impressive.
      Air braking (they'll need some sort of method for being able to flare the wings) + a forced wing stall might scrub off enough speed to land on skates as you suggest.

I wouldn't like to try it though!
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Air braking (they'll need some sort of method for being able to flare the wings) + a forced wing stall might scrub off enough speed to land on skates as you suggest.

I wouldn't like to try it though!
        I'd keep the horizontal speed, or at least as much as possible within skate wheels limits.

It seems some are planning to land using a ramp:

Wingsuit Pilots

Comment

Awesome - Only a matter of time before it becomes an NHS recommendation for depression. That amount of adrenaline is going to cure all your ills.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Quite good video work, almost looks real.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I can't believe the size of the wings are nearly big enough to acheive that. They may be able to freefall a bit less freely, but there's a reason why parachutes and handgliders need a much greater surface area. You cannee change the laws of physics Jim.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I see the suits have proper aerofoils now, last time I saw this they were just webbed like flying squirrels.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  A landing would be most impressive.
                  I think they use a parachute?
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    I think they use a parachute?
                    Yep.

Comment

Working...
                    X