• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm->Contract, worth handing in notice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perm->Contract, worth handing in notice?

I'm currently a permie, looking at leaving current position and going contracting ... getting plenty of 'bites' from agents and had a couple of interviews (some permie jobs which were interesting and I figured the practice would be worthwhile) - some possible contract work where cv has been forwarded too ...

However, as a permie, I need to give four weeks notice - is it worthwhile handing in my notice such that I'm more readily available to start, or is four weeks notice not likely to be that much of a problem overrall ?

Handing in your notice on the say-so of agents? You really ARE a mad hippy!!
    Most employers will wait a couple of weeks at least if you are the right guy. Get the gig first IMHO then negotiate early release from your permy position if required. Under no circumstances put any great faith in the words of an agent however. You'd be safer sticking your genitalia into a temperemental threshing machine.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

FFS Yet another one? Do you need advice on how to wipe your bum too?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Four weeks notice will not normally be a problem if you are the right man for the position.

I dont know if you have had chance but there are a number of newbie guides available both on this site and on the PCG and SJD Accountancy websites. While you are waiting to make that jump have a good read up of these guides. It will hold you well in the future.

Ta

Comment

Woo hoo my 100th post Zeitghost I now have your post total in my sights, be scared, be very scared lol

Comment

thanks for the offer of the free arse wiping course ... but think I can manage ...

I'm not talking about handing in notice on say-so of any agent ... market looks good so getting a job should be easy enough ...

what's the expectation of client's when it comes to waiting? will they wait 4 weeks? is 2 weeks a more usual period?

Comment

Originally posted by madhippy
              I'm currently a permie, looking at leaving current position and going contracting ... getting plenty of 'bites' from agents and had a couple of interviews (some permie jobs which were interesting and I figured the practice would be worthwhile) - some possible contract work where cv has been forwarded too ...

However, as a permie, I need to give four weeks notice - is it worthwhile handing in my notice such that I'm more readily available to start, or is four weeks notice not likely to be that much of a problem overrall ?
              Hi,

here is what happens in the real world...

Project manager / operational manager has a requirement for a warm body

Several weeks elapse whilst he convinces 3 layers of management that the requirement is valid

Finally they are given the OK to proceed on the proviso of a "job spec" and HR department input

A week passes as the "job spec" is produced

HR now get involved which really ferks the process up totally

After several more weeks the manager with the requirement has either given up the will to live or has battled with the HR department

Finally the requirement gets passed to those agencies on the PSL (which are typically large and cumbersome organisations much like the company that actually is looking for the warm body)

The agencies on the PSL fail miserably to convince anyone decent to work through them so they either (a) Put forward a total monkey and hope the client wont notice or (b) get one of their "partner" agencies to get somebody who can actually do the job.

By this stage a very large amount of time will have passed so the recruiting manager will demand immediate availability of the sucessful candidate (or at best within a week or 2 maximum)

So in summary - if you want to be in a strong position for a contract you will need to make yourself available with very little delay.

Oh yes.....and once you are selected and everyone is happy the t055ers in the HR department / agency will then insist on delaying the contract start for several weeks whilst they "add value" i.e. generate some standard paperwork which I can guarantee be full of errors that need correction.

Anyway - welcome to the forum and good luck with your contracting "career"

Comment

We don't know, you'll have to ask your (potential) client. Their expectation is that a freelance can start tomorrow if they have an immediate vacancy. In reality they will wait if you are the right person and if there are no more available alternatives, but there is no requirement on their side to accomodate your needs. Get your head around the big difference between employment and freelance, where you lose all the protection you're used to having.

Do not leave your job first unless (a) you have a contract lined up and signed with an agreed start date that you can meet or (b) you're a total lunatic with lot of spare savings. After the first one, you can join the madness with the rest of us, but don't risk putting youself out of work for no reason.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

well cheers for the responses, guess I'll hang on for someone willing to wait my notice period ... tho selling off the shares in my (soon to be) old employer would keep me going for a couple of months ...

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    FFS Yet another one? Do you need advice on how to wipe your bum too?
                    Originally posted by madhippy
                    thanks for the offer of the free arse wiping course ... but think I can manage ...
                    I dont think sas offered you a free course - he's a contractor after all !
                    I would imagine that £500 + expenses p/day should cover it; and with project management, analysis of requirements, development of course material, delivering course, post-course testing etc you would be looking at around 3 months.

Comment

Working...
                    X