• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dearth Penalty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dearth Penalty

What we have in this society is a dearth of real penalties for criminal behaviour. I say bring in judges who actually sentence criminals to hard labour in prison without parole. Then standing before a judge would act as some sort of deterrent to the majority of criminals.

I agree, but I think we need to expand a bit...punishment cannot exist in a vacuum if it is to be truly effective. We need a proper social code that bonds people into behaving in a civilised manner. If this code is broken, then effective punishment is administered.

Comment

Quite right.

Picking oakum is too good for 'em...

Bring back the cat o'9tails.

Comment

The problem as I see it is that for the last 30 years or so we have swung towards rehabilitation of offenders and away from retribution against offenders.

The prison regime is now so easy for repeat offenders that it holds no real fear.

There should be a sliding scale. First time offenders get all the help and support they need, all the little luxuries that make life bearable.

For every repeat visit to prison great chunks of privelage are removed untill they find themselves in solitary on bread and water if needs be.

Comment

Has anyone read Archer's prison diaries?

Comment

penalty

I am against death penalty on two grounds:

1) innocents are known to have been done -- imagine sitting on electric chair just before execution knowing you did not do it. How would it feel?

2) quick death is too easy -- let them live (if you call that living) without hope to get out.

As for persistent offenders I tend to agree that a complete crackdown should be done after Xth convicion, where X is 2, perhaps 3 but thats it. If someone was convicted many more times then its tough sh1t - no priviledges in prison, no easly release, much longer sentences. All of that should be made known well in advance to achieve some deterrent.

Comment

Re: penalty

1) imagine sitting on electric chair just before execution knowing you did not do it. How would it feel?
              Electrifrying.

Comment

Re: penalty

quick death is too easy -- let them live (if you call that living) without hope to get out.
                But is that really the easy way out as people frequently claim? The human instinct is towards self preservation. Personally, I'd rather see out my days in a cell than die an early death on the end of a rope.

Comment

its a matter of time

> I'd rather see out my days in a cell than die an early death on the end of a rope.

You will change your opinion after you walk into ths showers for the 1000th time.

Comment

Re: its a matter of time

You will change your opinion after you walk into ths showers for the 1000th time.
                    Are you sure? :lol

Comment

Working...
                    X