• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What makes a good chilli?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes a good chilli?

Not feeling the best and neither is SY02, so I suggested cooking a chilli. Big thumbs up from the boss.

I can chuck loooooooooaaaaaaaads of garlic in as we both like garlic and it's a good pick me up. Kidney beans obviously and chillies, but what makes a belting chilli?

I expect much input from Norrahe here.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

chocolate.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Just buy a recipe mix or a jar of sauce and just add mince... unless you think you can do better yourself...?

Comment

I always chuck in a good heaped teaspoon of cumin, and one of unsweetened cocoa powder.

Good quality minced beef and sliced red and green peppers.

Damn, I'm peckish now.
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Not feeling the best and neither is SY02, so I suggested cooking a chilli. Big thumbs up from the boss.

I can chuck loooooooooaaaaaaaads of garlic in as we both like garlic and it's a good pick me up. Kidney beans obviously and chillies, but what makes a belting chilli?

grated carrots

Comment

Onion, celery & carrot, finely diced. Fry gently until onions are clear. Add minced beef, garlic and some ground chilli. Fry until the meat is browned. Add kidney beans, passata and some chilli flakes (or grind some whole dried chillis) and some fresh ones as well. Try and use a mixture of chilli varieties e.g. birds eye, scotch bonnet if you like it toasty.

Then simmer till it has the required consistency.

Chocolate should be added at the end if desired. Some people swear by it.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Chille consists of the 'softs', as opposed to ,say, scouse, which consists of the 'hards'.

Take one large saucepan.
              Add one pint, half a litre of water
              Turn heat to low
              Add one pound, half a kilo of good quality mince
              Add two medium sized onions, sliced diced or chopped
              Add four tomatos, sliced diced or chopped
              Add a handful of mushrooms, sliced diced or chopped
              Add three sweet peppers, sliced diced or chopped
              Add one two or three finger chilles, sliced diced or chopped

Simmer for an hour

Add one tin of kidney beans
              Add one or two packets of chille con carne mix

bring back to the boil

serve with grated cheese and crusty bread

put the left overs in a jacket potato tomorrow

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

On top of the usual stuff, I always add marmite, worcester sauce, red wine, and a splash of milk.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
                  Just buy a recipe mix or a jar of sauce and just add mince... unless you think you can do better yourself...?

Yack. Anyone can make a chilli.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    On top of the usual stuff, I always add marmite, worcester sauce, red wine, and a splash of milk.
                    Oh, yes, red wine! I forgot that. Good call.
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X