• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Network file copy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Network file copy

Trying to move 59GB of files from win 7 lappy to Vista desktop. Connected via 10/100 router - both PCs have gigbit n/w cards. Windows estimates 3+ days to move the files. I Googled this but there was just a raft of people with same problem :-(

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Trying to move 59GB of files from win 7 lappy to Vista desktop. Connected via 10/100 router - both PCs have gigbit n/w cards. Windows estimates 3+ days to move the files. I Googled this but there was just a raft of people with same problem :-(
    Why not copy it to an external drive first?
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I got myself one of these (except in a pretty red colour scheme).

500GB and it neatly fits in my jacket pocket. Powered by USB, no external power supply to lug around.

Note that it won't power up on USB 1.1, if you have anything so ancient.

What you could also try is to network your systems directly temporarily, omitting the router to take advantage of the gigabit speeds of your NICs.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Have you tried turning off Autotuning on the Vista box?

Code:
        cmd> netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
        Use

Code:
        cmd> netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
        To turn it back on again afterwards.

Installing SP1 for Vista is also supposed to speed things up.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Installing SP1 for Vista is also supposed to speed things up.
          WHS. They cocked up the networking big time in the first release of Vista, which made file copying very slow. SP1 fixed it, so if you're still using an un-service packed Vista do that.

59GB is quite a lot though, and you can never trust those time estimates.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

59GB is quite a lot though, and you can never trust those time estimates.

Indeed, the file transfer tool is the biggest liar since Jeffery Archer in a libel trial.

Comment

Vista is fully up to date inc SPs so it's not that - I will try the autotuning thing thanks.

I could do the external drive thing but it seems a faff when these mahcines should be talking to each other anyway.

Comment

Vista is fully up to date inc SPs so it's not that - I will try the autotuning thing thanks.

I could do the external drive thing but it seems a faff when these mahcines should be talking to each other anyway.
                It might just be the transfer tool cocking up the time estimate, especially if the first file to move is a big one.

It might be worth setting it running and giving it an hour to sort itself out. I recently moved 35Gb between a Mac and a Vista box and it took about 2.5 hours on an 100mb network.

Comment

Indeed, the file transfer tool is the biggest liar since Jeffery Archer in a libel trial.
                  Acronis regularly tells me its backup is going to take 49,170 days. Which it doesn't.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It might just be the transfer tool cocking up the time estimate, especially if the first file to move is a big one.

It might be worth setting it running and giving it an hour to sort itself out. I recently moved 35Gb between a Mac and a Vista box and it took about 2.5 hours on an 100mb network.
                    Thanks - good call but after 3+ hours it was still doing the second file (which is 3gb)

Edit: whilst I think of it, I also tried using robocopy but it wasn't any faster.

Comment

Working...
                    X