• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asian body urges Fifa to reschedule 2022 World Cup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asian body urges Fifa to reschedule 2022 World Cup

The Asian Football Confederation has urged Fifa to move the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to January or February to avoid the desert state's summer heat.

AFC General Secretary Peter Velappan said potential temperatures of 40C in the country pose a danger to players.

Velappan added that plans to cool stadiums and training grounds with air conditioners were "not a solution".

He also warned that some European countries may boycott the tournament due to concerns over the heat.

"Qatar is a nice country but there is no way football can be played in June and July there. No player will ever want to play in these conditions," said Velappan.

More source: BBC Sport - Football - Asian body urges Fifa to reschedule 2022 World Cup

Because England didn't get the 2018 world cup I think they should make a protest my playing really badly and producing lacklustre performances thus ensuring that they leave the competition early.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I hope the megalomaniac that stole football lives long enough to see this farce.

No scantily clad Brazil babes and zero alcohol too, sounds like a right larf.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
        No scantily clad Brazil babes and zero alcohol too, sounds like a right larf.
        What a remarkably perceptive fellow you are ginger ! Easily the most astute observation and would-be winning argument against Qatar 2022 I've heard.

Why on earth didn't the other bidders raise this ? ... so to speak. You should have been in the England bid team. They should have had Randy Andy in there instead of Prince William.

Comment

No scantily clad Brazil babes and zero alcohol too
          Best argument I've seen against them getting it yet.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            The Asian Football Confederation has urged Fifa to move the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to January or February to avoid the desert state's summer heat.

AFC General Secretary Peter Velappan said potential temperatures of 40C in the country pose a danger to players.

Velappan added that plans to cool stadiums and training grounds with air conditioners were "not a solution".

He also warned that some European countries may boycott the tournament due to concerns over the heat.

"Qatar is a nice country but there is no way football can be played in June and July there. No player will ever want to play in these conditions," said Velappan.

More source: BBC Sport - Football - Asian body urges Fifa to reschedule 2022 World Cup

I wonder what "slide" on the wonderfully innovative Qatari Presentation that so won the admiration of the FIFA Committee, covered the fact that the place is like a fan-assisted oven in the summer?
            Or were the FIFA delegates all too busy snuffling through their huge brown envelopes at that point for that fact to register?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              I wonder what "slide" on the wonderfully innovative Qatari Presentation
              That was in small print on the back of big brown envelope.

Comment

It's a fair point, mid summer in that region is desperately hot, it would be horrible for players and fans. Short of them building enclosed air conditioned stadiums I'm not sure how it would be possible to avoid large numbers of heatstroke cases with some deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate View Post
                  What a remarkably perceptive fellow you are ginger ! Easily the most astute observation and would-be winning argument against Qatar 2022 I've heard.

Why on earth didn't the other bidders raise this ? ... so to speak. You should have been in the England bid team. They should have had Randy Andy in there instead of Prince William.
                  I've already given the footballing reasons in previous posts, just wanted to make sure i'd covered birds and beer.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Platini and Beckenbauer see no problem with buggering up every league in Europe to accommodate FIFA's stupid decision.

BBC Sport - Football - Michel Platini open to World Cup 2022 timing change

Qatar Too Hot? Play World Cup in January, Beckenbauer Says - NYTimes.com

Just as well homosexuals prefer Eurovison then.

Blatter Tells Gays: 'No Sex In Qatar 2022' - Yahoo! News UK

Comment

Working...
                    X