• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I had my ears tested today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had my ears tested today

I was referred to the hospital audiology department. And they say my ears are in pretty good nick, picking up all the frequencies well.

So why am I having trouble picking up conversations in crowded pubs, and some people in offices at work sound like barely coherent mumbling?

Pardon?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Pardon?
      Before I hit the Submit button, I had a bet with myself that it would be AtW.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        I was referred to the hospital audiology department. And they say my ears are in pretty good nick, picking up all the frequencies well.

So why am I having trouble picking up conversations in crowded pubs, and some people in offices at work sound like barely coherent mumbling?
        WHAT? EH? SPEAK UP LUV

Couldn't resist

On a serious note if you are having difficulty hearing in crowded pubs you could have tinnitus (constant ringing in your ears) you will only notice it more at night when everything else is quiet.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Oh jeez, my worst nightmare. Losing hearing is my worst nightmare being a musician. I'm slowly going blind and can cope with that but not being able to listen to music never mind play or write would be the end.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            On a serious note if you are having difficulty hearing in crowded pubs you could have tinnitus (constant ringing in your ears) you will only notice it more at night when everything else is quiet.
            Could be. I do get a bit of a buzz at night. What's the cure for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              Oh jeez, my worst nightmare. Losing hearing is my worst nightmare being a musician. I'm slowly going blind and can cope with that but not being able to listen to music mind never play or write would be the end.
              Well, as I've just found out, it's not actually hearing loss. As Nora says, maybe I'm hearing too much.

Comment

Could be. I do get a bit of a buzz at night. What's the cure for that?
                There isn't any atm, unfortunately you have to put up with it for the rest of your life (I've got it quite bad) awful when you can't hear a thing when you're out in pubs etc...
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Well, as I've just found out, it's not actually hearing loss. As Nora says, maybe I'm hearing too much.
                  Don't knock it, trust me.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    There isn't any atm, unfortunately you have to put up with it for the rest of your life (I've got it quite bad) awful when you can't hear a thing when you're out in pubs etc...
                    I'm sorry you've got it bad, that can't be easy.

Tell you what, next time I'm chatting you up in a pub and neither of us are understanding a dickie bird, just tell me who you are and we'll slip outside where it's quieter.

(Er, you are a lady aren't you?)

Comment

Working...
                    X