• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Straw Poll - Which would you take?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straw Poll - Which would you take?

It's decision time for me, all things being equal, which would you do in the current market?
    £65k salary plus 7% pension plus possible 10% bonus & some other minor benefits
    8.70%
    £50 per hour contract, 6 months, extension potential beyond that limited
    91.30%

Where's this poll?
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Think we're gonna need a bit more info.

Comment

You guys were quick! Sorry, took me a while to do the poll after the post (first-time poller).

Comment

being a contractor I'd take the contract
          I'd need more money and something very special to go perm
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

If you don't have a big bee in your bonnet about taking a permie role, I'd go that route.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I do have a bee in my bonnet about it, I guess I want someone to override it by telling me I'd be crazy not to take stability at the moment.

Comment

What contractor in their right mind has to think twice about a decision like this ?? No boss, freedom to come and go, in charge of your own destiny and all of the self esteem that comes with it, plus a bloody good rate. Even though there may be no cast iron certainty as far as contractual obligations are concerned (the buggers always have ways of chopping you off at the knees), it is still a good bet. Unless the market takes a turn for the worse or you have financial obligations like a mortgage or kids. In fact, life is so uncertain at the moment that a permie safe haven might not be too much of a bad thing, and with a good salary and pension I think you would be mad not to take the permie role.

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

doing what and based where?

for me, that'd be an amazing salary doing what I do, based in my home city, and the contract rate is just above average.

So for me, that probably would get me to move to the dark side again.

Comment

Without knowing your priorities, skillset and liabilities it's not really possible to give considered advice.

The perm deal isn't bad if you need stability and lower risk especially if the commute isn't long.

Comment

Working...
                    X