• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know owt about Digital SLR's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know owt about Digital SLR's

I'm after something that can take decent piccies and a chap at work has given me his Nikon D70 to play with for a few days with a view to buying it.

I know very little about these things but know the D70 is an older model. Saying that though it feels and looks pretty good to me and looking at some of the pics he's taken, is obviously a very capable camera. Had a go with it last night and like it.

He's not given me a price yet on the full package but mentioned 200 squids for the body. Its in very good nick and looks like its had light use or been well looked after. Dont know how many shutter activations.

I haven't a clue how DSLR's have come on since the D70 so would anyone in the know say they are still worth having? Or, am i better putting a few hundred quid extra in and getting a newer model?

FaQQer used to be into photography. Not seem him round CUK much though, these days. I think RH knows a fair bit about cameras too.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Have you checked out prices for the same camera on eBay or similar? How competitive is that £200 price tag?
      You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
        Have you checked out prices for the same camera on eBay or similar? How competitive is that £200 price tag?
        Seems round about the going rate for them.

Comment

With Nikon DLSRs the model doesn't make much difference to picture quality you just lose a lot of the gimmicks and unless you're that serious about it don't bother spending too much on the camera, it's the lenses that will make the difference

The main thing to watch with the cheapo ones is lens compatibility, all the expensive Nikon SLRs can take just about any Nikon lens ever made even the old AI ones

The D70 would be a good buy IMHO, but £200 meh I've seen them go for £130 body only second hand online at shops like Parks so maybe haggle a bit
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I see some D70s on ebay including lens for £200, e.g.

Nikon D70s 6.24 Megapixel Digital Camera with 18-70m... on eBay (end time 10-Dec-10 18:30:27 GMT)

If bought separately a lens will cost you about £100.

EDIT:
            Now for some useful information.
            There's a good review here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page5.asp

I know a guy with a Nikon D40 and he gets excellent photos with it
            Last edited by Platypus; 10 December 2010, 12:42.

Comment

shutter activations for d70 info
              D70 Shutter Actuations (Sorry for stupid question!) - Photo.net Nikon Forum
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
              X