• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Costco Tyres, company policy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco Tyres, company policy?

I was told that it's Costco's company policy that their 2 new tyres are fitted to the rear of the car (swap current 2 rear tyres to front). I asked why - all I got was company policy. I said I'm the customer and wanted the new tyres on the front, winter etc - all they kept saying was company policy.

Anybody know the real reason - or a good reason for me?

Thanks...

Tone

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    I was told that it's Costco's company policy that their 2 new tyres are fitted to the rear of the car (swap current 2 rear tyres to front). I asked why - all I got was company policy. I said I'm the customer and wanted the new tyres on the front, winter etc - all they kept saying was company policy.

Anybody know the real reason - or a good reason for me?

Thanks...

Tone
    Less chance of the back end of the car sliding, which is potentially more dangerous than loosing grip at the front.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

CostCo Tires [sic] FAQ:

When buying just two new tyres, should they be put on the front or back?
      When you select a pair of replacement tyres in the same size and construction as those on the car, you must put them on the rear axle. A single new tyre must be paired on the rear axle with the tyre having the most tread depth of the other three.
      Your question comes up a lot on car fora, according to Google. The solution is to go to Kwik-Fit (thieving toerags IMHO), apparently.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I thought current thinking was:

Front drive cars: New tyres on rear
        Rear wheel drive cars: New tyres on front

It's what I have been doing for the last few years for my front wheel drive car.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Less chance of the back end of the car sliding, which is potentially more dangerous than loosing grip at the front.
          Why can nobody on the whole internet spell "lose" or "losing"?

I think that's a somewhat dubious argument. If your rear tyres are so bad they should be changed, if not there's not a lot of point. And a FWD car will wear the fronts quicker, meaning you're better off with newer tyres on the front and keep the wear levels closer.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Why can nobody on the whole internet spell "lose" or "losing"?
            I just loose the ability to get it right sometimes

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I think that's a somewhat dubious argument. If your rear tyres are so bad they should be changed, if not there's not a lot of point. And a FWD car will wear the fronts quicker, meaning you're better off with newer tyres on the front and keep the wear levels closer.
            the fronts will wear quicker, what most places will do is to take the part worn tyres off the rear and put them on the front and then put the new tyres on the rear.
            And from the Honest John forums:
            http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=84216

etyres charge extra for this and don't do it as standard, they're also cheaper than kwikfit and they'll come to you to change the tyres
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've never used an online retailer for tyres, do most of them deliver in a van with a fitter, wheel balance machines and the likes?

The place I've used for the last 15 or so years has changed management recently and I'm not sure I'll bother with them when I next need tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                I've never used an online retailer for tyres, do most of them deliver in a van with a fitter, wheel balance machines and the likes?

The place I've used for the last 15 or so years has changed management recently and I'm not sure I'll bother with them when I next need tyres.
                I've used etyres twice and they've been superb. They come round with a van which has all the machinery in it and they just sort it out there and then. Only thing you have to make sure is that there is enough space for the van to park up near your car.

Has to be the easiest way to get new tyres on the car.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

the fronts will wear quicker, what most places will do is to take the part worn tyres off the rear and put them on the front and then put the new tyres on the rear.
                  Which means the fronts will get more and more worn compared to the fairly new rears. The optimum situation is to have all four about the same, which you'll never acheive by putting new tyres on the rear. When I had a FWD car I'd swap them round every now and again to keep them all wearing about the same, then buy 4 new tyres in one go.

Now I have a RWD car they're different sizes. My last set of rears lasted about 3 months*, and cost £300 for the pair. .

*Some of that was Spa Francachamps, some of it was the Nürburgring, and some of it was Rockingham.

Comment

I've used etyres twice and they've been superb.
                    Event tyres are excellent too.

Comment

Working...
                    X