• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Partition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partition

See, this is the thing I dont get.

How come when India was partitioned in to India and Pakistan it was Pakistan that went to crap and India that prospered?

Was it cause all the religious fundies moved out of India?

Mailman

Originally posted by Mailman

How come when India was partitioned in to India and Pakistan it was Pakistan that went to crap and India that prospered?

Was it cause all the religious fundies moved out of India?

Mailman
    Well, India is a bigger country with more resources, which must help.

However, I think what you're driving at is that Islamism is an inhibiting force to economic and social development - in which case I agree.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

You don't get a lot of stuff do you MM? Economics really isn't your forte is it? Didn't you claim that leading economists predicted that the US$ would actually rise as result of oil being traded in Euros? Any luck with the names of these economists or are you still avoiding the question?!

IMO the economic plight pf Pakistan has little to do with religion. Pakistan has suffered as result of the rampant corruption at the highest levels of government for decades. Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif, who are actually quite secular in their outlook, took the country to within an inch of bankruptcy in the 80s and 90s. This is part of the reason why the population of Pakistan were actually happy at the arrival of Musharaff who is a military dictator. I'd actually find that quite funny if it wasn't so tragic!

The economy Pakistan has come on leaps and bounds over the last 5 years or so. You might be surprised to know that this was also a period in which 'religion-orientated' politcians presided in local government. If Pakistan can sort out it’s law and order situation, work on education and create a stabile environment for foreign investment, I think it, along with India, China and the lesser known economies of the Far East will grow at ever faster rates.

Comment

Gee, I thought the reason pakistan has come so far was because of all the economic aid they get from secular countries

Mailman

Comment

Gee, I thought the reason pakistan has come so far was because of all the economic aid they get from secular countries

Mailman

Incidentally, the UK kindly gives India a couple of hundred million per year in "aid"

It must be to help them build more call centres so they can take even more jobs away from the UK

I am sure they will reciprocate the generoisty when the UK is bankrupt

Its all about "fairness" after all

Comment

Mailman
            Surely not the only reason? In your world maybe! A world in which everything is either black or white, mad mullah or gleaming athiest, where there's only ever one explanation to every question. Personally, I think there's probably more than one reason behind Pakistan's economic progress in recent times. However, it's interesting to see that you've moved the debate on from 'the mad-mullahs are complete failures' to 'the mad-mullahs are only succesful because we give them money'. Small but welcome progress MM. Well done!

Comment

Mind you...for all this so called advancement you are so keen on it really doesnt take much to show the true underbelly of the pakistani miracle

Mailman

Comment

Mind you...for all this so called advancement you are so keen on it really doesnt take much to show the true underbelly of the pakistani miracle
                Mailman
                Hardly a miracle by any stretch of the imagination. I was merely correcting your, as per usual, OTT observation that 'Pakistan went to crap' after partition. Your obsession with stereotypes obviously left you unaware that the key economics indicators of the Pakistani economy have actually been good in recent times and they are actually making 'progress'. As is the case with you, the progress is small but welcome nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by ALM
                  Hardly a miracle by any stretch of the imagination.
                  Hurray, you are coming round at last to our way of thinking!

There is no life without wife!

Mailman

Comment

Hurray, you are coming round at last to our way of thinking!

There is no life without wife!

Mailman
                    You really are a bit dim aren't you? Are you a big hitter in the City by any chance?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X