• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Punk Band

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Punk Band

Just in the process of transferring my vinyl to MP3. Was listening to some of me old punk LPs & felt compelled to post this poll (though, truth be told, it's more an act of rebellion against the AWFUL folk music programmes my girlfriend is currently watching on BBC4) .

The Guardian view on punk is that The Clash are the only ones to have stood the test of time. Bollocks is my answer to that. Dead Kennedys for me - Jello Biafra has the best voice in rock. Never Mind the Bollocks still a great album & Damned the band I've seen the most live - always a good gig. What's your fave?

PS a couple of years ago there was another thread on punk and I seem to recall there was a guy based in Denmark who actually claimed to have been in a minor band on the scene at the time & had supported one or two of the acts in this poll. Can't find the thread & can't remember the name of the poster.
    Sex Pistols
    8.33%
    Clash
    12.50%
    Ramones
    25.00%
    Dead Kennedys
    12.50%
    Damned
    8.33%
    The AndyW Bellend Cheddar Quartet
    33.33%

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Just in the process of transferring my vinyl to MP3. Was listening to some of me old punk LPs & felt compelled to post this poll (though, truth be told, it's more an act of rebellion against the AWFUL folk music programmes my girlfriend is currently watching on BBC4) .

The Guardian view on punk is that The Clash are the only ones to have stood the test of time. Bollocks is my answer to that. Dead Kennedys for me - Jello Biafra has the best voice in rock. Never Mind the Bollocks still a great album & Damned the band I've seen the most live - always a good gig. What's your fave?

PS a couple of years ago there was another thread on punk and I seem to recall there was a guy based in Denmark who actually claimed to have been in a minor band on the scene at the time & had supported one or two of the acts in this poll. Can't find the thread & can't remember the name of the poster.
    Dont know who the poster was, but I lived through the punk era. It mostly passed me by, firstly because I was a johnny cash/country fan, second because I was in the military, which was slightly reactionary when it came to this sort of thing. (but only slightly).

I clearly remember the media offensive against punk. The sun ran front page jokes, what it means to be a punk. whats the difference between a punk and a *** type of thing. They published a horror story about a mother who supported her daughters taste in punk 'whats the country coming to?'

Punks got battered in the street.

Years later, when I started to pay more attention, I decided I liked the pogues (are they punk ??)

nowadays, i see a lad with a bright green mohican, who is 'making a statement' and I think yeah, right on , how brave

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Never got into punk at all. It did change the music scene which was getting up its own arse but also seemed to destroy the concept of being tulip hot at playing your chosen instrument. There's no virtuosity to be found in current bands and that's a step backwards in my opinion.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        I was in the military, which was slightly reactionary when it came to this sort of thing. (but only slightly).

Yes, a mate of mine nearly got duffed up by Marines in Taunton for putting God Save the Queen on a pub jukebox. He told 'em he hated mods & they were ok with him after that.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
          Yes, a mate of mine nearly got duffed up by Marines in Taunton for putting God Save the Queen on a pub jukebox. He told 'em he hated mods & they were ok with him after that.
          I remember being on the top deck of a bus in Liverpool around 1980 and seeing a marker pen graffito:
          When is a mod not a mod?

When he's on his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            It did change the music scene which was getting up its own arse
            Absolutely.

Although at the end of the day a lot of those bands moved on from punk. Like the Stranglers, even the Damned.
            Last edited by Doggy Styles; 11 December 2010, 09:50.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I remember being on the top deck of a bus in Liverpool around 1980 and seeing a marker pen graffito:
              When is a mod not a mod?

When he's on his own.

There was a lad in my class in senior school who had been a rocker when the rest of us were mods. He was always getting duffed up, but as he hit sixteen he kept growing, in all dimensions. all muscle. he was areal hard case borderline hells angel. Then the skinheads started and he was always
              having battles with them.
              We must have been 17 when I was walking over a bridge on the leeds/liverpool canal in Bootle.
              My mate has just driven slowly past the chippy giving a gang of about 30 skins the two fingers, and driving them into an impotent rage.

then he tried to razz a wheely and his bike stalled. I can remember the fear of seeing a mob of skins trying to cover the 150m before he got his bike going.

his bike never worked again, even after it had dried out, and he spent an unpleasant fortnight dinkinking tomato soup through a straw in Walton ossie

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                There was a lad in my class in senior school who had been a rocker when the rest of us were mods. He was always getting duffed up, but as he hit sixteen he kept growing, in all dimensions. all muscle. he was areal hard case borderline hells angel. Then the skinheads started and he was always
                having battles with them.
                We must have been 17 when I was walking over a bridge on the leeds/liverpool canal in Bootle.
                My mate has just driven slowly past the chippy giving a gang of about 30 skins the two fingers, and driving them into an impotent rage.

then he tried to razz a wheely and his bike stalled. I can remember the fear of seeing a mob of skins trying to cover the 150m before he got his bike going.

his bike never worked again, even after it had dried out, and he spent an unpleasant fortnight dinkinking tomato soup through a straw in Walton ossie

You really were a bit of a yob EO. I find your recent posts about your exhuberant, crime filled past churlish and a bad example for todays youth. How must some of our younger, more impressionable contractors think!

Chess club and karate taught me discipline & respect.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Disappointing not to see the Anti-Nowhere League on the list of options......

Comment

Out of the poll options I picked the Ramones. If the option was available I'd have gone for the Stranglers.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X