• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the appeal of living in a canal boat?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the appeal of living in a canal boat?

Must be cold and damp this time of year? And when you add in the cost of maintenance, mooring fees etc it's actually not cheap.
    Anyone enlighten me?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

No council tax or water rates must go a fair way.

For the winter months, if you can't get to somewhere to have the septic tank pumped out, you will be using public bogs.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      Must be cold and damp this time of year? And when you add in the cost of maintenance, mooring fees etc it's actually not cheap.
      Anyone enlighten me?
      The like-minded neighbours, the atmosphere, the potential to move, privacy, the pubs and small businesses that are glad to see you, the community.

Having a real coal/wood/any-old-tulip-that-burns-actually stove helps. As does good insulation and central heating. And liveaboards are warmer and dryer than rental boats.

(We owned a share in a 62' narrowboat for a few years. We did quite a lot of time on board in winter, sometimes for months at a time. I was talked out of buying a 70' narrowboat when I left school - that advice was wrong.)

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      No council tax or water rates must go a fair way.
      Some councils charge council tax on moorings and the water rates are usually included in the permanent mooring fees and boat licence (indirectly).

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      For the winter months, if you can't get to somewhere to have the septic tank pumped out, you will be using public bogs.
      In the winter, you moor up near a boatyard / long term moorings / permanent moorings so you can access the pumpout. More usually, you use the toilets in the pub / supermarket when out and about.

Getting gas, diesel, coal, water and pumpouts in the winter is really not a problem.
      Last edited by RichardCranium; 11 December 2010, 12:53. Reason: My ingers are bigger than this netbook's keys
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I did it for a while. Quite liberating, but it was a little damp for me.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The Revenue / Authorities cannot track you down so easily?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            The like-minded neighbours, the atmosphere, the potential to move, privacy, the pubs and small businesses that are glad to see you, the community.

Having a real coal/wood/any-old-tulip-that-burns-actually stove helps. As does good insulation and central heating. And liveaboards are warmer and dryer than rental boats.

(We owned a share in a 62' narrowboat for a few years. We did quite a lot of time on board in winter, sometimes for months at a time. I was talked out of buying a 70' narrowboat when I left school - that advice was wrong.)

Some councils charge council tax on moorings and the water rates are usually included in the permanent mooring fees and boat licence (indirectly).

In the winter, you moor up near a boatyard / long term moorings / permanent moorings so you can access the pumpout. More usually, you use the toilets in the pub / supermarket when out and about.

Getting gas, diesel, coal, water and pumpouts in the winter is really not a problem.

Sounds very liberating. I like the idea, wonder how it ties in with contracting? maybe you could use it to get to interviews. Like 'oh I have an interview in four days, we had better set off this afternoon

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Sounds very liberating. I like the idea, wonder how it ties in with contracting? maybe you could use it to get to interviews. Like 'oh I have an interview in four days, we had better set off this afternoon
              I know that some people keep boats (not just barges) in central-London, as a cheaper way to live in the very midst of it all. With the right kind of sea-going boat, you can move it around the country as needed... although "I can't get there for next week due to a bit of a blow in Dogger" might not go down to well.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I know that some people keep boats (not just barges) in central-London, as a cheaper way to live in the very midst of it all. With the right kind of sea-going boat, you can move it around the country as needed... although "I can't get there for next week due to a bit of a blow in Dogger" might not go down to well.
                No, im pretty sure you could do it inland, on the rivers and canals

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

like the idea, wonder how it ties in with contracting? maybe you could use it to get to interviews. Like 'oh I have an interview in four days, we had better set off this afternoon
                  That conversation, and similar, have occurred many times.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

No, im pretty sure you could do it inland, on the rivers and canals
                    It depends. Do we have a proper connected network of inland waterways?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X