• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We're all children of Thatcher

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're all children of Thatcher

.....apparently.

well according to the Torygraph anyway:

Thatcher's Britain returns 20 years after she fell

"Britain is moving further to the Right after 13 years of Labour, it is disclosed today, as the public’s views on welfare become tougher than when Baroness Thatcher was prime minister"

"Only a quarter of people believe more money should be spent on benefits compared with more than half in the mid-1980s, it was disclosed"

I find this hard to believe. I think this ratio will change when the benefit cuts actually hit Wayne and Waynetta.

The rightist idea that failure is all down to laziness is as daft as the leftist idea that everyone can succeed given the chance, however, after 13 years of Labour, it is certainly more true than it used to be.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      The rightist idea that failure is all down to laziness is as daft as the leftist idea that everyone can succeed given the chance, however, after 13 years of Labour, it is certainly more true than it used to be.
      Failure is definitely down to laziness. Inaction doesn't lead to the chance of success and so therefore you can only fail.

Least with action you have a chance of success or failure.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Least with action you have a chance of success or failure.
        You also have a much bigger chance to fail much more miserably with much worse consequences (ie bankrupcy).

Comment

its true if you do not own a door how the hell is opportunity supposed to knock....

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            You also have a much bigger chance to fail much more miserably with much worse consequences (ie bankrupcy).
            Better to try and fail then to never try at all.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Better to try and fail then to never try at all.
              No, that's losers talk - if you are going to lose then don't even try ffs - whilst winners shag queen of the prom!

Comment

"The lesson is, never try."

Homer Simpson.
                You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Stanley Goodspeed: I'll do my best.
                  John Mason: Your "best"! Losers always whine about their "best"! Winners go home and **** the prom queen.
                  Stanley Goodspeed: Carla was the prom queen.
                  John Mason: Really?
                  [Goodpseed cocks his gun.]
                  Stanley Goodspeed: Yeah.

love that quote.

If you don't try then you don't fail but if you try hard enough then you succeed most of the time.

Plenty of rags to riches stories out there.

Maybe the level of benefit being issued affects peoples opinions?

Maybe if they asked 'should benefit claimants receive the bare minimum to survive on and support to go back to work' they would have had a different answer?
                  Last edited by vetran; 13 December 2010, 16:01.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You also have the chance to succeed or fail without risking bankruptcy or having to leave your day job or put l;ots fo money on the line
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X