• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you optimistic for 2011?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you optimistic for 2011?

How is everybody feeling things will go in 2011?

Are things set to get worse?

Will rates go down as new guys flood onto the market from the public sector?

I am feeling quite pessimistic as I can't see the economy moving out of the deep hole for a while yet and all these "signs of recoveries" appear to be false dawns.
    Better
    37.14%
    Same
    20.00%
    Worse
    31.43%
    We will all become AndyW
    11.43%

I am optimistic regarding my options when I need a new contract come February.

In Germany the recovery seems to be real.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Same, i.e. crap.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
        I am optimistic regarding my options when I need a new contract come February.

In Germany the recovery seems to be real.
        Same in NL; seems to be OK here. However, am being phoned for permie roles a lot lately.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Same in NL; seems to be OK here. However, am being phoned for permie roles a lot lately.
          I keep getting pestered for those too, seems that agents think that downturns are synonymous with easy to convert contractors
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've got work through until March, so the awful December-February quiet period is covered at least. This contract has been good to me - extended four times - so after that I'll take some time out for a few weeks of travel and start the search again in April. I'm told that's not a bad time to be looking, though I guess at the moment it's all relative...
            You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

So many permie jobs posted.

Sick of them. I can't see the point in going for a permie job paying anything less than 50k and in the North West those are difficult if not impossible to comeby.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                I keep getting pestered for those too, seems that agents think that downturns are synonymous with easy to convert contractors
                One just said his client's prepared to pay 'enough to persuade a succesful contractor'.

Now to let them know how much 'enough' is.

Comment

One just said his client's prepared to pay 'enough to persuade a succesful contractor'.

Now to let them know how much 'enough' is.
                  The gap is ridiculous.

When I was permie I would have jumped at the opportunity to earn 35k. Now I wouldn't be happy with 50k. It just completely prices me out of the market in the North West.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    The gap is ridiculous.

When I was permie I would have jumped at the opportunity to earn 35k. Now I wouldn't be happy with 50k. It just completely prices me out of the market in the North West.
                    If you're doing well as a contractor in the North West I can't imagine you'll get a better lifestyle anywhere as a permie.

Comment

Working...
                    X