• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know if one can grow bonzai tobacco plants?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know if one can grow bonzai tobacco plants?

Driving home I was thinking what a fortune I could save by growing my own tobacco. The snag is tobacco plants are great big ungainly things like triffids, with large flappy leaves and at several feet tall when harvested. But wouldn't it be good to be able to grow a smaller variety and just snip a few tender leaves off the top every now and then and smoke them.

In fact I wonder why no enterprising rustic with a barn hasn't thought of growing it on the quiet and selling bootleg rolling tobacco, or even cigarettes. It would just be a matter of getting some decent seeds from the US and the right soil, nutrient and lighting, and away you go.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Grow in pots

Nicotiana rustica usually grows to 6 - 8 feet but if you restrict its roots by growing it in pots it stays small. It has about 10 times the nicotine levels of Nicotiana tabacum - the one used by the fag companies. It is very easy to prepare for basic use as mapacho, but unless you press it with plenty of dried fruit before use it really does taste pretty foul.

Comment

Working...
    X