• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

laptop battery kaput - compatibles worth the risk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

laptop battery kaput - compatibles worth the risk

My HP battery is becoming flaky. Charges okay but at about 40% the laptop just shuts down suddenly. Done this a few times now so time to replace it.

An original replacement costs a fortune - I think I found site wanting £100 for it. Probably more than what the laptop is worth!
    Cheapest compatible is £35 but I read these are very much hit and miss really as regards quality.

Any experiences or tips.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

try Ebay?

I got one for my Dell for £45 inc p+p

Comment

there are supposed to be some techniques involving sticking the battery in the freezer which is supposed to help restore the battery to a nearly new condition.
      Can't say that I have first hand experience though!
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

How old is the laptop?

Have you tried getting HP to replace under warranty?

Comment

I bought an HP compatible battery for a laptop. Actually IIRC it purported to be genuine, certainly it has all the HP markings, but was bought on eBay, shipped from China. After 8 months, it's kaput.

Of course, you may be luckier.

Comment

Laptop is over four years old. And hasn't really been used all that much. For about a year I kept the battery out of it because it was sitting on my desk plugged in. Recently I've started using it on the road and noticed that every third or fourth time it would suddenly shutdown.

Performance has dropped quite a bit over the years too. It hardly manages to keep the laptop going for more than 1 hour now. (when it makes it all the way through)

Anyway, I'll just have to take my chances.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
            X