• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which MacBook Air?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which MacBook Air?

Anybody have any hints as to which one has enough power to keep the missus happy without totally breaking the bank?

Also any must have add-ons?

What no replies??

Somebody on here must have some insight into these surely....

Comment

I got my missus a MacBook Air 13 inch base model but upped the disk (flash) storage to 256 (as 128 is too low).

Thats really what you want....nice bit of kit too...a bit pricey but it will do the business.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
        Anybody have any hints as to which one has enough power to keep the missus happy
        What does she use it for? If just internet and stuff, any. In fact unless she does programming or graphic design or architecture, I'd say the cheapest unless screen-size is a problem.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

she uses it for design work and emails and stuff like that......

the extra 2 inches of screen real estate does present a problem if you are using it for anything else other than basic web / email stuff......

Comment

It will be for accounts, some site admin work, answering support queries, etc.

I'm thinking deffo the 13" at the moment, but don't know if I should go for the base 13" or go for one of the more expensive ones. I'm also not sure what add-on's people who have these couldn't live without (I assume it comes with a USB CD-Rom?).

Mac's I have used previously seem generally pretty good and very Linux like so I'm sure I'm not going to have any big issues fixing any problems she may come across, I've just never bought one before hence the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
              It will be for accounts, some site admin work, answering support queries, etc.

I'm thinking deffo the 13" at the moment, but don't know if I should go for the base 13" or go for one of the more expensive ones. I'm also not sure what add-on's people who have these couldn't live without (I assume it comes with a USB CD-Rom?).

Mac's I have used previously seem generally pretty good and very Linux like so I'm sure I'm not going to have any big issues fixing any problems she may come across, I've just never bought one before hence the questions.
              The CD-Rom (Mac Book Air Superdrive) has to be ordered separately at a cost of £65.00.
              SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Can't see you need more than the base model.

Comment

if a basic laptop is all you are after, then go for a bulk standard laptop from PCWorld as you'll get it a lot cheaper (of course it runs windows, but hey).

But with a Macbook Air, its based on the UNIX operating system and is very VERY robust and high performing.

But my advice is that if you skimp on the basics (disk storage, memory , etc) its very difficult if not impossible to add more. You don't need a CD-ROM drive as any software you install you can do from another computer (if you have one).

But the storage is the key factor I think. 128Gb in the base model will not be enough as the operating system takes up a portion of that and to expand it, you'll have to buy an external drive, which makes the whole thing clunky......

Comment

128Bg might be enough. I don't think I've ever reached that so it depends how much stuff you store. The OP could look at her old laptop to get an idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X