• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deflation

Retailers 'to increase prices by more than VAT rise'

Many retailers are planning to use next month's rise in VAT to "mask" more extensive price increases, a survey by accountancy group KPMG has claimed.

It said 60% of retailers and consumer product manufacturers planned to increase their prices over and above the VAT rise from 20% from 17.5%

It added that across all industries, 40% of UK firms planned to do the same. KPMG spoke to 200 senior managers.

A British Retail Consortium spokesman said the report was "nonsense".

Martin Scott, partner at KPMG Performance & Technology, said that as many retailers and consumer goods manufacturers had needed to discount intensively in recent years to win over wary consumers, the intention to now raise prices was "an understandable reaction".

He added: "But, the timing must be right. In today's price-sensitive market, any increases may well have a damaging effect on sales volumes. Firms need to understand the overall impact on profitability."

Richard Dodd, head of media at the British Retail Consortium, said 2011 would likely be even harder for UK retailers than 2010.

More from source: BBC News - Retailers 'to increase prices by more than VAT rise'

----

It makes sense really - since it is a planned tax raise it would mean that it will be excluded from official inflation figure next year, I mean, why not - it's a planned tax raise right?

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It makes sense really - since it is a planned tax raise it would mean that it will be excluded from official inflation figure next year, I mean, why not - it's a planned tax raise right?
    Because then the BoE would be unable to blame a rise in CPI on the VAT increase?
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

If stuff costs more it's called inflation.

HTH
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

HTH
        To be honest I thought this thread was going to be about AtW asking how to mend a blow up doll.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

HTH
          To be precise, if there is inflation then the prices of the things people need may go up.
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
            To be precise, if there is inflation then the prices of the things people need may go up.
            So it costs more

Comment

anyone on here going to put the price of their contract services up more than the VAT increase then?

Comment

Is it worth having copper coins any more (1p and 2p). Can't shops just do their tricks with 5p's instead, e.g. £9.95 instead of £9.99?

Comment

since it is a planned tax raise it would mean that it will be excluded from official inflation figure next year
                  Just because it is a planned rise does not mean it will be excluded fron the inflation figure. For 12 months after Jan 4 2011 it will be counted. It will only "disappear" on Jan 4 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    anyone on here going to put the price of their contract services up more than the VAT increase then?
                    Yes, sounds like a good reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X