• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To infinity and beyond

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To infinity and beyond

or at least to outside our solar system and into interstellar space, according to someone the BBC are quoting.

BBC News - Voyager near Solar System's edge

Although the prevailing view is, or was, that the solar system's boundary was beyond the Oort cloud, a cloud of comets lying a good fraction of a light year from the Sun, and Voyager is no where near that distance. Not even a significant tiny fraction of that distance. 1/500th of the distance by conservative estimates and 1/1700 by bigger ones.

Perhaps our solar system has shrunk.

Earth from Voyager 1, taken in 1990 from a distance of 40 earth-sun distances (AU)
    Pale Blue Dot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Or about the distance of Pluto from the Sun.

Voyager 1, the fastest out of the two Voyagers and the second to be launched, is currently 115 AU from the Sun and is expected to be lifeless by 2025. I do hope our distant ancestors pay a visit one day, and change the batteries. Fare well Voyager.
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 14 December 2010, 10:32.

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Has it reached the heliopause yet?
    I think they are still arguing about that one.

Comment

I sincerely hope they know what they're doing when they () try and replace the batteries

Comment

Nothing beyond there is real. It's just a giant video screen.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Has it reached the heliopause yet?
          It should be welcomed when it gets there, since it was instrumental in confirming its existence and distance.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

It's very cool. We (I'm speaking for all mankind here if you'll excuse my arrogance) should do more stuff like this.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It doesn't matter; everything you think is real isn't - is just a simulation in someone's lab.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                I sincerely hope they know what they're doing when they () try and replace the batteries
                I'll keep a look out but I'm not going out of my way to do it.

Comment

I saw a documentary on this.

Eventually it will harness the entire knowledge of the universe and come back as a sentient being looking to destroy the world. We'll have to send up some bald headed bird to sort it out.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    It's very cool. We (I'm speaking for all mankind here if you'll excuse my arrogance) should do more stuff like this.
                    There is a growing school of thought that it might not have been such a bright idea to give our location away, a bit too presumptuous.

Prepare for the harvest.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X