• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever had a contrct like this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever had a contrct like this?

No spec, nobody knows what they want, everyone contradicting each other, no project plan, you're just dumped with a load of code to look at and some very arcane business rules scrawled on the back of a fag packet. Nobody seems to give a toss either - they just don't care

What do you do? Sit around all day every day going round in circles or grab the "project" by the scruff of the neck and kick the useless permies into action?

You get to a point where it all just be ones very frustrating as it impossible to make any progress. Then you just get bored and demotivated. That's when the rot sets in.

sounds like many IT projects I've worked on, contract and permie!

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      No spec, nobody knows what they want, everyone contradicting each other, no project plan, you're just dumped with a load of code to look at and some very arcane business rules scrawled on the back of a fag packet. Nobody seems to give a toss either - they just don't care

What do you do? Sit around all day every day going round in circles or grab the "project" by the scruff of the neck and kick the useless permies into action?

You get to a point where it all just be ones very frustrating as it impossible to make any progress. Then you just get bored and demotivated. That's when the rot sets in.
      Arrange interviews with key business users and write the spec. Get sign off. Code it up.

Simples.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Arrange interviews with key business users and write the spec. Get sign off. Code it up.

Simples.
        WSYS

Take it by the scruff of the next. Tell management what they need to, what you need to do, get it signed off & agreed and then go do it.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

get out and buy a wheelbarrow.

You are going to need it to get your loot home, because this sucker is going to run and run....

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

You get to a point where it all just be ones very frustrating as it impossible to make any progress. Then you just post on CUK and invoice like every other subbie.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              WSYS

Take it by the scruff of the next. Tell management what they need to, what you need to do, get it signed off & agreed and then go do it.
              It will be good experience anyways, and good CV fodder.

Spec should contain the functional requirements (be these the new functional requirements) or reverse engineered from the code.

If the project is already part written (without these requirements in place) then you will need to do a gap analysis of what is there versus the requirements. Then this gap analysis will become an impact analysis, which gives rise to estimates.

These estimates go into the project plan.

You need to be careful that you don't become everything to all men, you need to divide your time between the various activities. If you are doing 25% business analysis, 25% project management then you are only available 50% of the time to do coding. Then again, I would never 100% allocate someone in a plan.

Don't forget to allow a 30% Contingency for unit testing, system integration testing.

Also you need a commitment from the business to do UAT. Agree the terms of reference with the business and this includes their commitment, amount of man hours, responsibilites. Get this signed off as well.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                WSYS

Do that on a public sector project and you'll be out the door in no time!

Seriously, I made the mistake of trying to get a project moving that had everyone sitting around for 18 months and was quietly asked to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Do that on a public sector project and you'll be out the door in no time!

Seriously, I made the mistake of trying to get a project moving that had everyone sitting around for 18 months and was quietly asked to leave.
                  Yep.

Golden rule : Invoice
                  Silver rule : Invoice
                  Bronze rule : A good subby adapts to the client culture whatever that may be. Aim to be a bit better than the average permie so they can see your worth but not better than the resident top dog no matter how low his standards.

Adherence to these results in long contracts, lots of holidays and early retirement with a stash.

If you want to change the world etc and show how clever you are then IT/software won't do that as it's so damn easy that even I can do it.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                    Yep.

Golden rule : Invoice
                    Silver rule : Invoice
                    Bronze rule : A good subby adapts to the client culture whatever that may be. Aim to be a bit better than the average permie so they can see your worth but not better than the resident top dog no matter how low his standards.

Adherence to these results in long contracts, lots of holidays and early retirement with a stash.

If you want to change the world etc and show how clever you are then IT/software won't do that as it's so damn easy that even I can do it.
                    He speaketh the truth. Have some +ve reputation.

The aim of the game is to make good money easily and for the longest possible period.

Comment

Working...
                    X