• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming mileage from clientco

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming mileage from clientco

I have to go and visit one of my client's other sites that is approximately 120 miles from the location in which I normally conduct my day to day business. Normally I would take the train but on this occasion my Target destination is not within an acceptable distance of the most proximate railway station.

This means I will have to drive down but I have just been informed by the client that they only pay 14p per statutory mile as opposed to the 40p per mile I would normally expect to be reimbursed. Should I dig my heels in and insist on my 40p?

You can personally reclaim the 40p per mile from your own Ltd company (providing that you are below the 10,000 miles in this tax year). Recharging the travel costs to your client is a separate issue. If you are unhappy with the amount you are allowed to recharge then I would suggest a harder negotiation. Alternatively, will they allow you to recharge the full train fare and taxi fare to site?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
      You can personally reclaim the 40p per mile from your own Ltd company (providing that you are below the 10,000 miles in this tax year). Recharging the travel costs to your client is a separate issue. If you are unhappy with the amount you are allowed to recharge then I would suggest a harder negotiation. Alternatively, will they allow you to recharge the full train fare and taxi fare to site?
      But if I claim it from my own co. it's me who is taking the hit, not them. Guess I'll have to negotiate then.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
        But if I claim it from my own co. it's me who is taking the hit, not them. Guess I'll have to negotiate then.
        At least it reduces your Corporation Tax though

Comment

It sounds as if they have a number of permies who get extra money in their pay packets for personal lease cars then reclaim essentially petrol-only expenses. Ask them if that's the case, if so, remind them that this is your car, not a permie's way of avoiding company car tax. I always have mileage in my contracts at the full HMRC rate (allows for changes by HMRC), if you don't have mileage rates in your contract then it's down to negotiation, I'd stick to my guns charge expenses at 40ppm. I did come down to 32ppm once as that's the rate they paid their permies with their own car and it wasn't worth sticking out and being awkward for that extra 8ppm.

Comment

Is this a one off or something that would be happening regularly?

If it is a one off I would personally I would seriously consider just doing it and using either 40ppm from Ltd of 14ppm from client and swallow it (which ever is most profitable). Of course ask but I wouldn't push it.

In the long run 240 miles is hardly earth shattering and isn't going make any difference to depreciation etc etc. If you have a fairly economical car you arn't going to be out of pocket by much on their rate and will be ok with the 40ppm as well. It's not like you are actually paying for this.

It is a weight up of how much this is worth to you and how much of a problem you want to cause with your client.

Now if they want you to do it regularly then of course stick your heels in hard.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You could always refer to your contract and if its non-specific as to expenses reimbursement then advise the agency (assuming there is one) that you expense at 40p per mile as per the statutory requirement.

question: did the actual contract stipulate that travel was required ? If so, you are free to pass on whatever expenses are incurred in the delivery of that work. if the client wants to change it, ask them to provide an amended contract.

if you can't agree, either travel via the most expensive means possible (within their travel policy - trains, taxi's etc) and bill them for travel time. Either that or don't travel.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
                they only pay 14p per statutory mile as opposed to the 40p per mile I would normally expect to be reimbursed. Should I dig my heels in and insist on my 40p?
                There ain't no way you can run a vehicle for 14p a mile. That amounts to 37 MPG for fuel alone. They are thinking of the company cars that they supply to their permies and pay them 14p to cover petrol. You've got to run your own vehicle so it's 40p per mile as per HMRC's guidelines (which were set when fuel was 30% cheaper), thank you very much.

If you didn't drive, would they pay you the train/taxi fares? I'm sure they would be much more and they would take a lot longer too.

But as northernladuk says - if it's a one off then I'd be inclined to just take it on the chin. In fact, I'd rather swallow a one off cost than accept expenses and set a precedent that you are willing to accept a BS rate for mileage....
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                X