• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Lioness on a Cheesegrater' explained.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Lioness on a Cheesegrater' explained.

Sommerstein’s commentary on the Lysistrata

‘standing on all fours’:the woman stood bending forward (sometimes resting her hands on the ground or on a bed), in a posture reminiscent of a lion crouched to spring, and was penetrated from behind (either vaginally or anally). The reference to a cheese-grater is due to the fact that the handles of such utensils were often made in the form of crouching animals.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

What an odd post!

You're weird

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      What an odd post!

You're weird
      I asked him a while ago to explain.

Comment

Thanks so much Gibbon. I'll be able to sleep tonight finally, now I know that!

Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
          I asked him a while ago to explain.
          I like how random this thread will be if you didn't read Gibbon's other thread (which I skimmed, and was most perturbed by).
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            I like how random this thread will be if you didn't read Gibbon's other thread (which I skimmed, and was most perturbed by).
            Why perturbed?
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              Sommerstein’s commentary on the Lysistrata

‘standing on all fours’:the woman stood bending forward (sometimes resting her hands on the ground or on a bed), in a posture reminiscent of a lion crouched to spring, and was penetrated from behind (either vaginally or anally). The reference to a cheese-grater is due to the fact that the handles of such utensils were often made in the form of crouching animals.
              I'll never look at a cheese grater in the same way again.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Thanks! I had slightly wondered about that since my school days. Good old Aristophanes.
                As a special treat, you may now go to your Liddell & Scott and look up ῥαφανιδόω.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  Thanks! I had slightly wondered about that since my school days. Good old Aristophanes.
                  As a special treat, you may now go to your Liddell & Scott and look up ῥαφανιδόω.
                  Oh my God!

I bloody knew the Greeks were weird.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    Mmmmmmm, radishes.

Were they talking about yer salad variety or the 18" long Mooli variety?
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X