• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mad And Bad: 60 years of Science on TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad And Bad: 60 years of Science on TV

This very evening at 21:00 to 22:30 on BBC4.

Complete with the Raymond Baxter Magnum test of the bullet proof vest.

Live on air.

And the testee survived.

I downloaded this the other day

Einstein's Universe

I have fond memories of watching this, many moons ago, and thought I'd re-watch it.

Comment

I am becoming increasingly worried about BBC3 and BBC4 being canned by the BBC. I've no idea what BBC3 is, but BBC4 is great. Why don't they get rid of Radio1 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Quite.

The documentary about The Drake Equation that was on last night was excellent at sending me to sleep.
        Yes that was excellent. As was 'The Joy of Stats'.

BBC4 does offer the occasional gem.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Thought the "Joy of Stats" was excellent.

So excellent that I didn't, in fact, fall asleep whilst watching it.

I though Roslings animated visualisation of trends (with his horse-race style commentary) was superb and hillarious.

The Billion-Dollar-Gram was staggering.

The Billion Dollar Gram

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            This very evening at 21:00 to 22:30 on BBC4.

Complete with the Raymond Baxter Magnum test of the bullet proof vest.

Live on air.

And the testee survived.
            Which is more than can be said of the unshatterable windscreen when Tomorrow's World tested that live on air. (30+ years ago, IIRC)
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Anybody remember the Tomorrow's World episode where they demonstrated colour TV on the black & white sets current at that time in the sixties?

It worked, kinda. As screen flickered for a bit a woman's lips appeared red, was kinda cool for about a minute.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                Anybody remember the Tomorrow's World episode where they demonstrated colour TV on the black & white sets current at that time in the sixties?

It worked, kinda. As screen flickered for a bit a woman's lips appeared red, was kinda cool for about a minute.
                I don't remember that particular episode, but How! did the trick with a disc rotating at just the right frequency.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                X