• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To Storm Out or Not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Storm Out or Not?

OK I have an errmm friend who is a contractor and he's been in his contract for 2 years and is totally sick of it due to the generally clueless nature of the permies and having to clean up their messes.

Now there are other contractors and they have been banished to the grotty fair end of the room with these toy kiddie desks which are bearly large enough to get a monitor and keyboard on. My friend sits on the boundary of this area and has a huge, proper "permie" desk with loads of leg room. He's gloated a bit about his desk in the pub to the other contractors in the past it has to be said.

Now today people came around with clipboards sizing up this desk and it looks like he will lose it and get a scummy contractor desk. Now the agent emailed about a 3 month renewal today about 10 mins after this and I, I mean my friend said "he would think about it".

Is this sufficient grounds not to renew a contract given he is sick of it?

Originally posted by gruntling View Post
    OK I have an errmm friend who is a contractor and he's been in his contract for 2 years and is totally sick of it due to the generally clueless nature of the permies and having to clean up their messes.

Now there are other contractors and they have been banished to the grotty fair end of the room with these toy kiddie desks which are bearly large enough to get a monitor and keyboard on. My friend sits on the boundary of this area and has a huge, proper "permie" desk with loads of leg room. He's gloated a bit about his desk in the pub to the other contractors in the past it has to be said.

Now today people came around with clipboards sizing up this desk and it looks like he will lose it and get a scummy contractor desk. Now the agent emailed about a 3 month renewal today about 10 mins after this and I, I mean my friend said "he would think about it".

You (or yer friend), don't need any 'grounds' or any need to justify not renewing a contract. You only have to justify it to yourself.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Depends if you can put up with the daily bench rate. That, or get another contract?

Comment

Comment

Why are you asking us?

Tone
          Last edited by Tingles; 15 December 2010, 19:23.

Comment

Flounce away.

Comment

Why on earth would your 'friend' put up with being treated like a second class citizen ? he should stand up and tell them to stick their contract up their collective bums. In many of the contracts that I have done, the desk situation , as well as the coffee situation and management style have been more important than even the rate. I remember one gig where I didnt even HAVE a desk, the buggers expected me to hot desk around, what a nightmare. So I suppose your 'friend' should be grateful for small mercies and definately stick it out and accept the extension.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What would Jesus do?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  What would Jesus do?
                  Have a pot noodle?
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by gruntling View Post
                    Well, I get fed up on most contracts after 18 months. There is a natural time and tide in these things. It's no-one's fault -- just human nature. After a while, it all palls.

Also the longer you're there, the more you know, so the more grotty stuff you get handed. New contractors have to be given simple stuff, while those there for a long time know enough to do all the rubbish.

If he's sick of it, it's time to move on.

Now there are other contractors and they have been banished to the grotty fair end of the room with these toy kiddie desks which are bearly large enough to get a monitor and keyboard on. My friend sits on the boundary of this area and has a huge, proper "permie" desk with loads of leg room. He's gloated a bit about his desk in the pub to the other contractors in the past it has to be said. Now today people came around with clipboards sizing up this desk and it looks like he will lose it and get a scummy contractor desk. Now the agent emailed about a 3 month renewal today about 10 mins after this and I, I mean my friend said "he would think about it".

I can't imagine that the contract FORCES him to accept a renewal! That doesn't sound legal to me. If he's sick of it, just don't accept the renewal. You don't need a reason! That's only if you walk out part way. If we want to leave a contract at renewal time, and don't want a fight -- and we shouldn't, because we might want to go back --, just say that we've been offered something better elsewhere, closer to home, whatever.

As for the "reason" -- it wouldn't be enough of a reason to say "breach of contract", mid-contract. Unless it made it impossible for him to do his job, which, since others manage, clearly it wouldn't.

But really this one is just a symptom of general unhappiness. I wouldn't worry about it a bit, at the start of a new contract. But the REAL reason is that it is time to go.

Of course the question is where to go to! But after two years he should have plenty in his pockets anyway.

Be professional, be constructive, don't let the bastards grind you down, and remember you are the master of your destiny. They're not your bosses, only your clients.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

Comment

Working...
                    X