• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Idiot calls for a new wealth tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiot calls for a new wealth tax

Martin Weale, who is calling for a new wealth tax on house ownership
    A leading economic adviser with links to the Treasury today called on the Government to introduce a wealth tax on property which could cost average householders £2,000 a year, after his organisation warned that house prices in the UK are overvalued by as much as 20 per cent.

Martin Weale, the director of the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) and member of the Treasury’s Academic Panel, says homeowners should pay 1 per cent of the value of their property in tax in order to prevent rampant house price inflation.
    How on earth did he become a director of anything to do with economics?

Economics is said to be not science.

Tax based on value of the house is ... council tax! There are different bands and amounts are calculated accordingly, nothing new here. What he wants is to use different formulae to charge more those who have more expensive houses than others.
    Last edited by AtW; 18 February 2006, 17:09.

Comment

I dont get it, if something is supposedly over priced why tax it?

No, wait...I do get it now Over priced means there's money to make in them thar hills!

Mailman

Comment

Well after reading the paper I actually liked some of his ideas. He wants to replace other taxes such as the council tax with the property tax and not just introduce another source of revenue for the state.

When some sources of income (house price inflation) are not taxed and other sources of income (stocks) are, it makes the market less efficient because people no longer choose their investments according to their real value.

Of course the problem is that this tax can lead to a major drop in house prices...

Comment

I was just about to say.. but I see that Atw has already said it. Bloody nuisance, I want to be the source of all common sense on here, armless upstart!
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical
            When some sources of income (house price inflation) are not taxed and other sources of income (stocks) are, it makes the market less efficient because people no longer choose their investments according to their real value.
            But they are taxed. Not necessarily particulaly effectively in terms of getting it though.

Capital gains is payable on the disposal of any house except the PPR. The PPR iis often taxable at 40% on death.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
              Capital gains is payable on the disposal of any house except the PPR. The PPR iis often taxable at 40% on death.
              Their (NLs) problem is that they can't wait until people die or move house (in environment of hard to sell houses people should move less), but they need taxes like yesterday so they figure since NL is such a good Govt that ensured huge growth in house prices, then, the Govt is entitled to part of that pie.

Comment

As a tenant I think that's a great idea.

They shouldn't tax on value, but I kind of think they should tax on house price gains. The way the boom went there must be lots of people who "earned" more from the value of their home increasing than they have from salary, so to pay a tax on the amount they gained (over inflation) doesn't seem unreasonable, and would have helped keep prices at a more sustainable level.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                  As a tenant I think that's a great idea.
                  Why? If every owner gets taxed, then they will pass it onto tenants, much like British Gas passes over increase in gas prices just like any other provider.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    Why? If every owner gets taxed, then they will pass it onto tenants, much like British Gas passes over increase in gas prices just like any other provider.
                    Okay, so just tax homeowners on the house they live in. Buy to let properties are already caught by capital gains IIRC.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X