• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business gift to partner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business gift to partner

Hi there,

If I would make quite expensive gift to my business partner, am I allowed to expense it through my Ltd company ?

Thx.

If it's your business partner and you buy it through the company, won't they effectively be buying it for themselves anyway??

What are you thinking of buying? Chocs, wine or tobacco isn't an allowable expense for CT.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
      If it's your business partner and you buy it through the company, won't they effectively be buying it for themselves anyway??

What are you thinking of buying? Chocs, wine or tobacco isn't an allowable expense for CT.
      100k rolex watch with diamonds

Just interested what tax benefits could you get away with if buying jewellery

Comment

Originally posted by gemasp View Post
        Hi there,

If I would make quite expensive gift to my business partner, am I allowed to expense it through my Ltd company ?

Thx.
        It's not clear whether your business partner is an employee of your limited company. If so, these rules apply:
        EIM21863 - Particular benefits: trivial benefits - examples

Comment

Chocs and Wine are allowed if they are 'seasonal gifts'

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Chocs and Wine are allowed if they are 'seasonal gifts'
            Absolutely agree but the OP didn't say it was for Xmas. They also say expensive gift which IMHO is not "trivial".

Comment

Absolutely agree but the OP didn't say it was for Xmas. They also say expensive gift which IMHO is not "trivial".
              I was responding to your statement that chocs and wine is not allowable against CT. My point is, yes they are, if they are seasonal gifts.

I entirely agree that this does not answer the OP's question, but then again, neither did your your reply about choc!

Comment

Good point!

Comment

Sorry I didn't explain that clearly. Let's say I have a friend who helped me to get a new contract and I would like to buy him a present - something around 1.5K (10% of a contract).

Can I expense that?

Comment

Originally posted by gemasp View Post
                    Sorry I didn't explain that clearly. Let's say I have a friend who helped me to get a new contract and I would like to buy him a present - something around 1.5K (10% of a contract).

Can I expense that?
                    You can but it won't be an allowable expense for corporation tax relief.

Comment

Working...
                    X