• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do restaurant...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do restaurant...

waiting staff say 'no problem' when I ask for something - I don't care if it's a problem or not, I want it!!!!

Tone

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    waiting staff say 'no problem' when I ask for something - I don't care if it's a problem or not, I want it!!!!

Tone
    Precisely. A simple "very good sir" in a Jeeves, out of Jeeves and Wooster type voice would go a long way and it's not much to ask.

Bam-bam-rama-dama-ding-dong
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

It's called being polite. You should try it one time. Perhaps then, they won't snort the content of one nostril onto your plate before they meet your demand.
      Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
        It's called being polite. You should try it one time. Perhaps then, they won't snort the content of one nostril onto your plate before they meet your demand.

Why is it not a problem?

A simple yes or yes of course would be good.

Is it some sort of US or Ozzie saying?

Tone
        Last edited by Tingles; 16 December 2010, 20:13.

Comment

Why is it not a problem?

Auzzies say "No wuckas mate"

HTH
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

or when telephone cold-callers say it.

"I already have double glazing"
            "OK, not a problem!"
            ("Thank goodness for that. If my already having double glazing had caused you a problem, I don't think I would be able to sleep tonight.")

Comment

I used to, for my sins, have to work out of some rooms in the BT Telephone Exchange in Paignton. I used to love it when we got cold callers trying to sell me Conservatories or Double glazing.
              I would enthuse over the whole process, suggesting that a huge ornate and colossally pretentious addition was just what was needed to brighten the place up and provide more light and airiness. You could almost hear them getting moist and mentally planning just how they were going to spend this forthcoming sales bonus.
              That was right up until the point that I broke the news to them that the Bill Payer would in fact be BT themselves, at which point the line invariably went dead.
              Used to make my day it did!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                I would enthuse over the whole process,
                Cold Caller: Hello this is Johnny Chav from Windows Direct, may I speak to Mr Moorfield please?

Mr Moorfield (for it was he): Yes of course, one minute, he's in the garden, I'll just get him for you .....

<leaves phone off hook for 10 minutes and wanders off>

Mr Moorfield (10 minutes later): Hello, Mr Moorfield here ....

Phone: <brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr>

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  I used to, for my sins, have to work out of a Zoo in Paignton. I used to love it when we got visitors trying throwing peanuts at me.
                  I would enthuse over the whole process picking nits from my hair and scratching my nuts. You could almost hear them going oo' oo' oo' and mentally planning just how they were going to afford my banana.
                  That was right up until the point that I pissed myself at which point the line invariably went dead.
                  Used to make my day it did!

Be truthful ape boy.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Why is it not a problem?

Tone
                    Here in New Zealand I have noticed that they say 'not a problem' when you order. That includes the young English people working here. I think I remember getting the same thing in Canada.

I do expect a higher level of subservience than that but it is possible that the world is changing and I am becoming a dinosaur.

Comment

Working...
                    X