• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You know there's a property crash coming when...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that daft cow Rosie Millard starts liquidating holdings...

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/ar...016729,00.html

"My reality check
    Rosie Millard of The Sunday Times finds her flats may be more of a risk than an asset

Last week I had a sit-down session with Alvin Hall, the television financial expert. I gave him the good news about my individual flats, all rented out, all medium geared, all very happy. Then I gave him the bad news about my overall financial status, which is much, much nastier.
    “You are way overleveraged,” said Hall. Meaning that the total equity of what I own, including my home, is not sufficiently clear of what I owe.",

"So to alleviate my overleveraged position, I am putting one of my flats on the market."

Oh dear, watch for the herd doing a reality check and following Rosie.

Milan.

...Tony Blair buys into the market!

Comment

overleveraged?

Whatever happened to overextended?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Alvin's American (I think.) In any case, I think over-leveraged is better. It's more specific.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
          Alvin's American (I think.) In any case, I think over-leveraged is better. It's more specific.
          What about just good old-fashioned "insolvent" (i.e. assets < liabilities).

"Over-leveraged" indeed!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Insolvent and over-leveraged are not the same thing. As far as I know Millard is not insolvent, her property assets are worth more than the sum total of her debts. She's just taking far more risk than she understands, and is risking falling off the edge of the cliff at any moment.

If I am worth £0 and manage to borrow £1 million to invest in property then (assuming no transaction costs) my net worth is still £0. I am not insolvent, but I am over-leveraged. If property falls 1% my net worth then becomes minus £10K. If the loan terms do not allow the loan to be called in early and I can generate enough income from the property to meet the interest payments, and the downturn is only temporary, I don't have a problem. On the other hand, if (as is much more likely) the loan can be called in at the discretion of the lender or when it is not covered by the assets, then I am up a creek...

Whenever you borrow to invest you take a risk that you will be wiped out during a temporary down-turn in the market. This is one of the reasons why almost everyone with an account with a derivatives broker or spread-betting company ends up losing money. (Trading in derivatives is often equivalent to investing with borrowed money.) Even if people have a strategy that will win in the long term, volatility ensures that they get wiped out during a temporary down-turn after which they are out of the game; the long-term never arrives. That is why leverage is dangerous.

I get the impression that people investing in property think they are doing well if they only borrow 75% of the value of the property. Speaking for myself, I recently shifted my ISA savings into funds that own commercial property, and am extremely uncomfortable that one of them is allowed to borrow as much as 50% of the portfolio value. One third or less is the norm for the rest. Ideally I would prefer to invest in funds that don't borrow at all, as I believe that borrowing always worsens the risk/reward ratio. (Most investors only look at rewards, which is why fund managers can get away with using gearing.)
            Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 19 February 2006, 18:39.

Comment

Overextended

Overleverage suggests you have a lever that is too large, however overextended suggests the line of credit you have been extended is larger than sensible.

These Americans they can't talk the Queens English. Fleety jump in any time.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

These septics and the "English" they use really do piss me off.
                Their inability to pronounce "aluminium" properly does my head in.
                We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

how are you doing Fleet ?

what's new ?

Milan.

Comment

Back in Brussels for 6 monther, perhaps 9
                    Rate and contract OK, not brilliant, but after four months on the bench, you can't be too choosy....
                    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                    X