• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New horror for txt spk haters - numeronyms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New horror for txt spk haters - numeronyms

I've been studying the O'Reilly book "Dojo: The Definitive Guide", for a clientco web app, and have been seeing a few bizarre shortened words such as "i18n" and "a11y".

Turns out these are called numeronyms (and those two are short for "internationalization" and "accessibility" respectively)

Anyone seen many of these? have they been around for a while, maybe a spin-off from text speak?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

That's 50 8100dy 1337!

Comment

I've seen i18n used quite a lot but never a11y.

Comment

R u 4 real?

Comment

I understand J00
          Last edited by Spacecadet; 17 December 2010, 11:16.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

If we must simplify why not go back to Egyptians?. I would enjoy sending letters to an insurance company consisting of little doodles of elephants and things.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
            X