• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snowman Maths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snowman Maths

If I have an area of 10m x 10m with 10cm of snow, how big a snowman can I build ?

If you'd like, you can assume that snow is falling at an inch an hour but I only have until it gets dark.

Considerations;

Compacting the snow
    Straght sided or spherical
    optimal body to head ratio

Something like this?

Polish snowman, 6 days in making, rises 31 feet » OMGshots.com
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I've put the data into a climate model, taking into account warming rates, compaction of snow, thermal dynamics, phase transition energy and forces acting on the snow, the answer is you can't build a snowman, as Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        If I have an area of 10m x 10m with 10cm of snow, how big a snowman can I build ?

If you'd like, you can assume that snow is falling at an inch an hour but I only have until it gets dark.

Considerations;

Compacting the snow
        Straght sided or spherical
        optimal body to head ratio
        10*10*.1 = 10 m3

assume 50% waste
        = 5m3

assume 1 m base
        =5/3.142 = 1.5 m tall

1 m base
        1.5 m high

dont forget the spoons
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          10*10*.1 = 10 m3

dont forget the spoons
          Or it's head?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Or it's head?
            my calculations included the head

all my calculations include the head. always have, always will do

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

A sphere is about the worst shape to pick to build a high snowman. There's a volume of 10m^3 of snow available. Assuming a packed density of half that, that's 5m^3 of packed snow. So the finished box snowman could be 1m * 1m * 5m and weigh 5 tonnes.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                A sphere is about the worst shape to pick to build a high snowman. There's a volume of 10m^3 of snow available. Assuming a packed density of half that, that's 5m^3 of packed snow. So the finished box snowman could be 1m * 1m * 5m and weigh 5 tonnes.
                If you examine the source code, you will see that I have proposed a cylinder, not a sphere.
                guide the cylinder into an anthropomorphic shape with spoons. agw

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  If you examine the source code, you will see that I have proposed a cylinder, not a sphere.
                  guide the cylinder into an anthropomorphic shape with spoons. agw

Yeah, well your cylinder is 2m wide and only 1.5m tall. A very plump snowman. Mine is 5m tall.

Comment

"Waste of time, maths. You'll never use it once you leave school."
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X