• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There's an app for this...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's an app for this...

America's homeland security network now extends all the way to your smartphone. The makers of a new state-of-the-art iPhone app claim that it lets concerned citizens report suspicious activity — from terrorist-like behavior to potential environmental abuse — directly to the federal government at the push of a button.

The "Patriot App" also lets users inspect the FBI's "Most Wanted" list, view the national threat advisory warning, and highlight their concerns via their Facebook and Twitter pages. The app's designers — described as former Department of Homeland Security "insiders" — say it was "founded on the belief that citizens can provide the most sophisticated and broad network of eyes and ears necessary to prevent terrorism."

Linky
    Last edited by Cliphead; 18 December 2010, 20:26.
    Me, me, me...

I bet they hope it's more effective than the Patriot missile system

Comment

Wasn't that called the Stazi in East Germany?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Wasn't that called the Stazi in East Germany?
        No, the Stazi's network of informants were rewarded. Under a democracy, retards do it for nothing

Comment

Be goodthinkful

Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain.
          There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live—did live, from habit that became instinct—in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized.
          The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. We are different from all the oligarchies of the past, in that we know what we are doing. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just round the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it.
          Take care what you say in front of your children, Parsons. They may be recording it...

1984 wasn't meant to be a manual.™

Underneath the spreading chestnut tree, I sold you and you sold me
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Underneath the spreading chestnut tree, I sold you and you sold me
            He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

Comment

Working...
            X