• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winter starts soon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter starts soon

Literally. On Tuesday 21 December. I hope you enjoyed autumn but it's soon going to be winter's turn.

Should we extend it from about mid November to the end of March?

Here's a nice song to cheer you up:

On a brighter note, the days will start getting longer soon.

Comment

So it's a bit of a bugger that 21st December is midwinter.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Literally. On Tuesday 21 December. I hope you enjoyed autumn but it's soon going to be winter's turn.

Should we extend it from about mid November to the end of March?

Here's a nice song to cheer you up:

I've always thought of winter as being from the end of October to the end of March anyway. Spring is April and May, summer is June, July and August, and Autumn is September and October.

It works for me.
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

I've never understood why some people think that winter starts on the winter solstice, which clearly is the middle of winter.

Of course the nice song is about losing your loved one because martians have invaded the earth. And I for one would welcome our new overlords, as long as they bring their heat rays to warm us up a bit. Ooooooohlaaaaaaaaa.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I've never understood why some people think that winter starts on the winter solstice, which clearly is the middle of winter.
            When do you think winter starts then?

Comment

It's a subjective term. But to my mind, the winter solstace is mid-winter meaning it can't be the start of winter.

Comment

On the basis of dividing the year into 4, with the solstices being the midde of summer/winter, then Winter is November 6th to Feburary 5th.

I guess in reality the seasons lag behind the Earth's rotation around the Sun, but even in a normal year you wouldn't say December was part of Autumn.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  It's a subjective term. But to my mind, the winter solstace is mid-winter meaning it can't be the start of winter.
                  It's the same with summer. The first day of summer is also mid-summer's day. When does summer start for you?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    On the basis of dividing the year into 4, with the solstices being the midde of summer/winter, then Winter is November 6th to Feburary 5th.

I guess in reality the seasons lag behind the Earth's rotation around the Sun, but even in a normal year you wouldn't say December was part of Autumn.
                    Why divide the seasons into 4 equal lengths? After all you're ignoring the usual definition of winter start in favour of your own date

Comment

Working...
                    X