• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heathrow - a world class airport?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heathrow - a world class airport?

Ok, I can understand how cheapskates in every Govt don't want to invest relatively pityful amount of money to get ready for snow all around the country, however surely it should not cost that much to make sure major airport hubs are ready?

Like say today there is no falling snow, so WTF Heathrow can't operate to clear backlogs?

I am meant to fly out next week - I bet they'll cancel flight right before I arrive

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Ok, I can understand how cheapskates in every Govt don't want to invest relatively pityful amount of money to get ready for snow all around the country, however surely it should not cost that much to make sure major airport hubs are ready?

Like say today there is no falling snow, so WTF Heathrow can't operate to clear backlogs?

I am meant to fly out next week - I bet they'll cancel flight right before I arrive
    I was reading earlier that the main problem is getting aircraft de-iced before take off. That is a fault with the airline not the port.

Not that it helps much.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      I was reading earlier that the main problem is getting aircraft de-iced before take off. That is a fault with the airline not the port.
      "The Daily Mail website reports on "an angry telephone exchange" yesterday between BA chief executive Willie Walsh and Colin Matthews, chief executive of BAA.

"Mr Walsh was said to be furious about remarks made by a BAA spokesman earlier that the de-icing of aircraft was 'the responsibility of individual airlines'," the Mail reports."

Source: Britain's big freeze - live updates | News | guardian.co.uk

---

I'd imagine that this should be service that airport provides to airlines - even though big ones like BA might have their own crews to gain competitive advantage.

The issue is not that anyway - today there was no falling snow but only 7 flights took off, and nobody arrived I think - why? Well, that's pretty likely because Heathrow has not got enough machines to ensure runways can be cleaned of ice/etc using hot air or whatever they use these days - such machines were available in my native city with fairly small airport: I am pretty sure it was legal requirements for any international airport.

Comment

My flight today, scheduled for 18:55 out of Heathrow was cancelled

What annoyed me though was being unable to speak to a human from BA all day. Not a fook could I cancel or re-book as if you have a hotel and a flight through them you have to call. When you do call, all you get is a few machine options and then a nice message saying they are very busy before they end the call.

Muppets!

Comment

Can't they reboot online? Last year my parents were flying out in January and flight got cancelled but I was able to reschedule online.

Comment

If we regularly got this kind of severe autumn whether, we'd be better equipped to cope with it, although I gather airports in other countries were closed too.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              I gather airports in other countries were closed too.
              Indeed - Antarctica's landing strips are currently closed due to white bear problem - pilots can't see them from the top unless they look right up, so it's not safe to land

Comment

Where do they divert all the incoming planes to when somewhere major like Heathrow has to close suddenly? I guess they find enough capacity elsewhere (haven't heard of any ditching in the Atlantic), but it must get difficult when all of Northern Europe gets hit by snow.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Indeed - Antarctica's landing strips are currently closed due to white bear problem - pilots can't see them from the top unless they look right up, so it's not safe to land
                  Yeah, I bet.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Hang on, I thought you'd said you were too scared to fly. Surely a frightened flier would prefer caution.

Comment

Working...
                    X