• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PermieBobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PermieBobs

I've been in a permie gig for the last couple of months now and am watching a worrying trend unfold. Having been given the dubious privilege of "letting go" two contractors I have now watched them be replaced (without any say) by two PermieBobs.
    To be fair they are bright guys but they are coming in worryingly cheap (£40-45k salaries in front office FFS ). Today I am the minority one nonBob on a team of 7.

Other than that I have no work to do whatsoever, despite asking for more. Maybe I'm on the way out too ....

My last gig was about 10 permie bobs, 4 Polish and 2 British.

I know some of them were on 18k. That was my first salary 12 years ago when I was fresh out of Uni.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      To be fair they are bright guys but they are coming in worryingly cheap (£40-45k salaries in front office FFS ). Today I am the minority one nonBob on a team of 7.
      It is a good salary way above national average, so STFU and try to find a better example of foreign labour undercutting locals.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        It is a good salary way above national average, so STFU and try to find a better example of foreign labour undercutting locals.
        Read my post.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Read my post.
          I was not referring to your post.

£18k is poor salary for anybody but a student who just starts up at really bad economy time.

Comment

Granted it is, but still about 50-60% the going rate for what they do. More a case of the bank looking around for the first candidates that will say yes to those salaries, and there are many. Supply and demand I suppose, ho hum.

Comment

Globalisation.

You get a flat screen telly for £300 and they get your job. For 1/2 salary.

Win-win to Big Corp PLC.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                Granted it is, but still about 50-60% the going rate for what they do.
                If those guys earn as permie £50k that would give them net £38k (I used PAYE calculator offsite), let's say they charge 60% of "real" rate, ie permie in their position would need to get paid £83k gross or £55k net. Now £38k vs £55k is actually closer to 70% so their discounting (using your numbers) is not that massive...

unless you are just assuming that everyone should use Ltd to aggressively minimise tax?

Comment

I was not referring to your post.

£18k is poor salary for anybody but a student who just starts up at really bad economy time.
                  I know you were not but my post counters your argument.

Rates are lower in Scotland but I would still be expecting 350 to 450 a day. When a company goes out to hire a whole dev team and chooses 10 permiebobs and 4 Poles and has to hire in 2 local contractors when the tulip hits the fan something is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I know you were not but my post counters your argument.

Comment

Working...
                    X