• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Six Month Contract - Retainer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six Month Contract - Retainer

Just been offered a six month 'open' contract with a client I was working for in the last few weeks.

Presently on another contract, but the agency and the client have put in a six month period with no set days & no minimum or maximum.

The client is willing to pay when I am available and when they have requirements for certain type of development & business analysis.

The rate negotiated is at a 20% premium above my normal rate.

I think this is a fantastic deal which kills IR35 for me as far as I am concerned.

Anyone have anything similar.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

The rate negotiated is at a 20% premium above my normal rate.

I think this is a fantastic deal which kills IR35 for me as far as I am concerned.
    Tidy.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

So you might get zero for 6 months and not be able to do anything else?

I was recently working part time for a client. It was 2 days per week, but on occasions would ramp up to 3 or 4 days as required. Which suited me fine as it gives me plan B time whilst still keeping an income (and 2 days of contractor rates is actually about the same as I'd get in a permie job anyway), and was good for them. This finished a couple of weeks ago, but it seems likely they want me to continue in January.

I think the big problem with contracting is that it tends to be all or nothing. Money but no time, because you're stuck somewhere full time for 6 months, or on the bench with lots of time and no money. I'd much rather be able to work in this sort of flexible way.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
      X