• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Fixed-term" vs casual contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fixed-term" vs casual contracting

Hi all - my first post, so be gentle!

For the past 8 months I've been contracting for £475/day. Always a 2-month contract period, but extended 3 times.

Now I'm looking for the next thing, and an agent has just called with a 6-month "fixed-term" contract for a large ISP offering £42k pro-rata. When I said that this seemed to be considerably less than I was earning, the agent said "This is a fixed term contract and thus cannot be compared to a regular contract payable on a daily rate".

Which sounds like rubbish to me. Now you lot probably hold the same opinion of recruitment agents that I do, but that aside, are there any circumstances under which he could be right? I've read the arguments about 'contract hourly rate = permie salary in thousands', but even if that's true (hmmm...), I don't see that I'd accrue any useful benefits within 6 months!

What do you think? Has anyone been in this position?

Cheers,
    tamper

What's the point of contracting if you're going to earn the same as a poorly paid permie? Tell 'em to bog off.

SG in "HTH" mode.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by tamper

For the past 8 months I've been contracting for £475/day. Always a 2-month contract period, but extended 3 times.

Now I'm looking for the next thing, and an agent has just called with a 6-month "fixed-term" contract for a large ISP offering £42k pro-rata. When I said that this seemed to be considerably less than I was earning, the agent said "This is a fixed term contract and thus cannot be compared to a regular contract payable on a daily rate".

Which sounds like rubbish to me. Now you lot probably hold the same opinion of recruitment agents that I do, but that aside, are there any circumstances under which he could be right? I've read the arguments about 'contract hourly rate = permie salary in thousands', but even if that's true (hmmm...), I don't see that I'd accrue any useful benefits within 6 months!

What do you think? Has anyone been in this position?

Cheers,
      tamper
      Have a look at the various calculators on

http://calculator.contractoruk.com/

Comment

tamper: It is utter rubbish.

I have been in the position of an agent telling me fairie stories as well, it does take considerable effort to not get angry or burst out laughing at the best of times.

Confusion at what an agent says is quite common, and asking the opinions of the congregation at a board such as this is a good idea.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

wouldnt touch a fixed term contract like that. sasguru is right...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by tamper

Which sounds like rubbish to me.
            Sounds like rubbish to me as well. At a rate approx 33% of what you were getting. What I've usually done with these is just tell them it is uneconomic to provide services and turned it down.

Comment

Have to agree with everyone..... even though it's fixed term, you're still not getting holiday, sick pay or any of the other 'benefits' that come with a permie role...... it's twoddle!

Comment

It's amazing what agents will tell you sometimes to try to sell the job! Just tell him your minimum daily rate and leave it at that. It's then up to his client whether he wants to pay for you!

£425 / day = approx £8925 a month , and = £17850 for 2 months work (before tax)

£42k pro-rata for 6 months = £21k .... i.e. you'll work for 4 months for only £3150 more !!

easy choice eh.

Comment

Sound like a crap deal to me...

The idea of a fixed term contact paying pro-rata sound weird - even so, going on what i've seen on the job boards before, someone who could command £475 a day could expect 60-65k and bonus on a permi style wages, not 42k.

Comment

Thanks all! I know that on the surface it was a much worse deal, I just figured maybe there was something pertinent in the fact that it was 'fixed-term', though essentially most contracts are for a fixed period of some sort aren't they?

Not that it means anything, since they can be cancelled at short notice. Hmmm...maybe that's what the point of 'fixed-term' is? Protection against the contract being cancelled early?

Comment

Working...
                    X