• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Captain Beefheart RIP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain Beefheart RIP

Has this already been done? I Just heard the news:

Link

Never really got my head around Trout Mask replica but Safe as Milk and Clear Spot were cracking albums. In fact, I'm going to slip that one into the CD changer for tomorrow's drive to work. Nothing like a good blast of Sun Zoom Spark to clear the cobwebs first thing.

Never really 'got' his music but agree it's a shame to see another original bite the dust.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Damn. Been a fan since I bought Safe As Milk in the 1960s, on the recommendation of the Perfumed Gardener.

I saw Beefheart interviewed on David Letterman in the 1980s. It was amazing. He seemed straight and spoke in connected sentences, expressing throughtful content in educated grammatical speech. I understood every word, but I got no sense out of it at all, and I couldn't work out why.

I think that one of us just had his brain wired up differently, and I don't think it was me.
      Last edited by Ignis Fatuus; 22 December 2010, 08:57.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Amazing the range of people influenced by Beefheart:

Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

I used to listen to some of his stuff on the tube. Quietly mind, I'm not one of these twunts who likes to share their music with every poor sod rammed on the train.

Bat Chain Puller - superb. I even liked (dare I say) Blue Jeans and Moonbeams.... great tune for the tube to get a bit of serenity before work.

Comment

He was one of those legendary names I'd heard but I never knew exactly what he did.

Can someone enlighten me?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              He was one of those legendary names I'd heard but I never knew exactly what he did.

Can someone enlighten me?
              Top tunesmith, blues based, but completely ignored the rulebook.

As mentioned earlier - Clear Spot and Safe as Milk are two must-have albums.
              World's Best Martini

Comment

Load of unlistenable pish.

"Dachau blues, those poor jews"

Jazz Rock Fusion at its worst. Pretentious mince.

Comment

Working...
                X