• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Income splitting looked at again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income splitting looked at again

Has anyone mentioned this item? Not seen it.

Government to revive 'Dracula' tax on family businesses - Telegraph

However, the world will end in 2012 so we don't need to worry about it.

French village which will 'survive 2012 Armageddon' plagued by visitors - Telegraph
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Has anyone mentioned this item? Not seen it.

Government to revive 'Dracula' tax on family businesses - Telegraph

However, the world will end in 2012 so we don't need to worry about it.

French village which will 'survive 2012 Armageddon' plagued by visitors - Telegraph
    This has been doing the rounds today in the accounting section:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ck-agenda.html

Not sure about the armageddon stuff though
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

If I & my wife both have jobs and the income is paid into our joint account, we are taxed individually.

If I & my wife both have jobs at the same company and the income is paid into our joint account, we are taxed individually.

If I & my wife both have jobs at the same company and both have shares in the company we work for and the income is paid into our joint account, we are taxed individually. (I know people like this working for global multinationals with employee share schemes)

If I & my wife both have jobs at the same company & and both have shares in the company we work for and we happen to be the only shareholders and the income is paid into our joint account, we aren't taxed individually.

What utter bulltulip. Good job I don't have a wife.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Clearly you don't understand the difference between running a business and working for a business.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Can't afford one?
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Clearly you don't understand the difference between running a business and working for a business.
            If I have a job running a business for somebody else and my wife has a job running a business for somebody else and we both have shares in those businesses and the income is paid into a joint account we are taxed individually. Even if it's the same business.

If we are shareholders in the same business and we both receive dividends we are taxed individually.

If I and a friend run a business together and we both receive income and dividends from it we are taxed individually.

The only situation where expecting to be taxed individually is seen as "avoidance" seems to be when spouses both own and run the business.

What utter bulltulip.
            Last edited by doodab; 22 December 2010, 03:32.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              Can't afford one?
              I suggested we get married to keep the tax bill down but she wasn't impressed

Comment

I suggested we get married to keep the tax bill down but she wasn't impressed
                You old romantic, you.

On a serious note, I agree entirely with your sentiments regarding the joint taxation.

Comment

Unfortunately I never had the opportunity as the missus was always around the upper income tax level. If you are a Mormon or a Muslim can you split it between multiple wives? That would be good.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

If I have a job running a business for somebody else and my wife has a job running a business for somebody else and we both have shares in those businesses and the income is paid into a joint account we are taxed individually. Even if it's the same business.

If we are shareholders in the same business and we both receive dividends we are taxed individually.

If I and a friend run a business together and we both receive income and dividends from it we are taxed individually.

The only situation where expecting to be taxed individually is seen as "avoidance" seems to be when spouses both own and run the business.

What utter bulltulip.

Nope you still don't understand.

In the scenarios above you continue to take zero risk developing the business. What do you care if it fails? You'll just move on to the next thing like fred the shred. This attitude to business helps explain by far the mess the countries corporations are in, all about short term gains without a thought for the long term prosperity.

I've contributed more to the exchequer that at any time of my life with my current way of working. To force this through would be the final nail on entrepreneurship, which would see me return to some permiedoom job contributing less.

What utter bulltulip indeed.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X