• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Money gone to Company House

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money gone to Company House

Hi All

Please can you advise

I voluntarily dissolved my company but left around £5000 in the business a/c.
    What has happened is that the business a/c has sent the balance to the companies house and now I need to restore the company to claim the money back.

Any help/comments would be appreciated

<mod>Moved to Accounting/Legal where you have a better chance of getting a sensible reply</mod>

You need to look into an Administrative Restoration, see Chapter 4 here:

Guidance - strike off, dissolution and restoration (GP4)

An accountant should be able to help you out with the process, but it's really quite simple.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Hi Thanks for the reply

I've been told I need to go to court to get it restored by "companies house"

Do you why I need to get a court order ?

Thanks
      Last edited by Tilamok; 22 December 2010, 17:17.

Comment

This happened to me many years ago, I had alot more than £5K in my bank account.

A company named UKData sorted it out for me, the money in my business account actually went to HMRC Treasury Solicitor. I had to get UKData to re-open the Company for one/two days only so I could have the company bank account 'unfrozen' and have money transferred out to my personal bank account. I remember UK Data made an application to the 'High Court' in London to have the dissolved company re-opened temporarily. The whole process took about 5 weeks from start to finish, really easy cost me about £150, which is not bad considering what I would have lost. I don't know if its the same procedure these days. .. this was like 9 years ago. I think UKData may be still around, ring them and see if they still do it and get a quote.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
          This happened to me many years ago, I had alot more than £5K in my bank account.

A company named UKData sorted it out for me, the money in my business account actually went to HMRC Treasury Solicitor. I had to get UKData to re-open the Company for one/two days only so I could have the company bank account 'unfrozen' and have money transferred out to my personal bank account. I remember UK Data made an application to the 'High Court' in London to have the dissolved company re-opened temporarily. The whole process took about 5 weeks from start to finish, really easy cost me about £150, which is not bad considering what I would have lost. I don't know if its the same procedure these days. .. this was like 9 years ago. I think UKData may be still around, ring them and see if they still do it and get a quote.
          Thanks
          I don't mind losing £150 considering that "companies house" seems to suggest that if the balance is less than £3k then ot's not worth the hassle,
          I'll try to contact UKdata

My old accountant is also giving me the impression that it's gonna be costly especially if solicitors are going to be involved

Comment

It's not that complicated anymore, the rules changed when the Companies Act 2006 came into force.

The downside may be if you had outstanding accounts for which a penalty would be due if you restored it - depends on whether you struck it off properly in the first place.

All you need to do is:

4. How do I apply for administrative restoration?

You must send an ‘Application for administrative restoration’ (Form RT01) to the registrar which includes a statement of compliance confirming that the applicant is legally entitled to make the application (see question 1) and that the conditions for restoration are met (see question 2).

The registrar’s fee for processing the application is £100. Please make cheques payable to ‘Companies House’ and write the company number on the reverse.

Guidance - strike off, dissolution and restoration (GP4)

Comment

Clare

Many Thanks for your reply
              It looks as if RT01 is used where the company is dissolved involuntarily. However I dissolved mine voluntarily.

I dissolved the company with everything paid, all accounts and reports done to the best of my accountant's knowledge

I think I need solicitors because I dissolved it voluntarily
              Last edited by Tilamok; 23 December 2010, 13:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilamok View Post
                Clare

Many Thanks for your reply
                It looks as if RT01 is used where the company is dissolved involuntarily. However I dissolved mine voluntarily.

I dissolved the company with everything paid, all accounts and reports done to the best of my accountant's knowledge

I think I need solicitors because I dissolved it voluntarily
                Sorry, I missed the voluntary bit in your first post - have a look at the Bona Vacantia procdeures then. The Crown will often make discretionary payments when assets are passed to them in error. You need to jump through a few hoops, but it's easy enough:

FAQs > Companies > Bona Vacantia

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                  Sorry, I missed the voluntary bit in your first post - have a look at the Bona Vacantia procdeures then. The Crown will often make discretionary payments when assets are passed to them in error. You need to jump through a few hoops, but it's easy enough:

FAQs > Companies > Bona Vacantia
                  Clare

Many thanks again for the link and very valuable details
                  Bona Vacantia seems to refund up to £3000 only

Comment

Originally posted by Tilamok View Post
                    Clare

Many thanks again for the link and very valuable details
                    Bona Vacantia seems to refund up to £3000 only
                    It depends on how much getting the company restored by Court Order would cost though - it might be a case of taking the view that £3,000 is better than £5,000 less £2,500 in costs. It's worth getting quotes from various solicitors or accountants to see how much it would cost.

Did your accountant warn you to close the bank account before the striking off application was submitted? Did he ask for bank statements to ensure it was done? If not, perhaps that's a good bargaining tool to use against any fees he would charge for handling the restoration process.

Comment

Working...
                    X