PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica

Svalbaard
22nd December 2010, 16:58
Having recently finished watching "The Wire" I was a bit lost for things to watch and was recommended the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. I read all the reviews on Amazon and took the plunge.

Now, I'm just wondering if it is me here and that I have maybe missed the point somewhat - because I don't think I have : but what a load of old nonsense the last 3 series are. It started off really well with the mini-series and series 1 and 2, and I do get the whole god, rebirth, ressurection angle etc - but at the end if it all I am really glad I don't have to sit through any more of it as it became a chore to even put the DVD in the player.

So I'm £50 down and fairly disappointed and just wondering what did others think of it? And can you recommend any other series worth watching so I don't have to suffer any more Freeview rubbish?

norrahe
22nd December 2010, 17:01
It did wane a tad near the last few series, shame as it started off really well.

You could give something like Dexter a go or if you haven't already; the Sopranos. If you like your sci-Fi crossed with a hint of x files try Fringe.

AtW
22nd December 2010, 17:04
Lexx
Farscape
Firefly
Blakes 7

HTH

ctdctd
22nd December 2010, 17:07
Babylon 5

norrahe
22nd December 2010, 17:08
Babylon 5

Or Deep Space 9

minestrone
22nd December 2010, 17:10
It dived but it dived from a good level.

THey got caught up in the religion thing for a long time when we really just wanted to see suspicion and a good battle. The Jimmy Hendrix stuff was total mince, whoever thought of that should be tied to a post and birched.

Americans really have to learn to stop making decent programs into money making ventures with teams of writers churning out a crap second series.

AtW
22nd December 2010, 17:12
Babylon 5

Bah how could I miss that one :frown

Platypus
22nd December 2010, 17:20
Or Deep Space 9

Oooooh .......... a few good episodes interspersed with a lot of rubbish about Sisco being the chosen one.

On balance, not recommended.

Voyager on the other hand.... very good IMO.

And I did like Stargate SG1 (and also Atlantis).

An entertaining 'mini series' I watched recently was The Lost Room - 6 episodes of goodness!

Clippy
22nd December 2010, 17:21
So I'm £50 down and fairly disappointed and just wondering what did others think of it? And can you recommend any other series worth watching so I don't have to suffer any more Freeview rubbish?

As already mentioned, The Sopranos.

Some good recommendations in this recent thread (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/60161-sopranos.html).

BTW, why not stick the BG boxset on eBay - I recently sold a Mad Men boxset for more than I paid and, after costs, broke even.

Platypus
22nd December 2010, 17:34
Also I've enjoyed over the last few years,

12 seasons of Dalziel and Pascoe
Complete Sherlock Holmes (with Jeremy Brett)
Complete Inspector Morse
Father Ted (old but still great)
Flash Forward (sadly cancelled)
Seven seasons of House
Complete Jeeves and Wooster

Just started the West Wing

Buffy on hold ATM. Angel bought and ready to watch (ok childish but fun!)

Better Off Ted - some funny episodes, I've not seen a lot (can be downloaded)

Friends recommend Caprica and V

Er, I watch a bit too much telly :nerd

MrRobin
22nd December 2010, 17:38
Completely agree with what you and others have said about BSG, the first two series were pretty good but the later episodes were a bit of a chore to get through, and were nearly all about crappily written side stories rather than progressing the main plot and I just wanted it to conclude. The (very) ending was prety good though, and just about worth the wait.

Tried Lost? Very good series in general, IMHO, although the same issues with plot progress kicks in in the later eps.

What about Band of Brothers? Excellent WW2 drama, definitely not to be missed.

Clippy
22nd December 2010, 17:52
An entertaining 'mini series' I watched recently was The Lost Room - 6 episodes of goodness!

Sounds interesting. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Room)

Where/how did you watch this?

centurian
22nd December 2010, 18:01
Americans really have to learn to stop making decent programs into money making ventures with teams of writers churning out a crap second series.

Except they were Canadians...

Agree with underlying sentiment though...

minestrone
22nd December 2010, 18:02
Also I've enjoyed over the last few years,

12 seasons of Dalziel and Pascoe
Complete Sherlock Holmes (with Jeremy Brett)
Complete Inspector Morse
Father Ted (old but still great)
Flash Forward (sadly cancelled)
Seven seasons of House
Complete Jeeves and Wooster

Just started the West Wing

Buffy on hold ATM. Angel bought and ready to watch (ok childish but fun!)

Better Off Ted - some funny episodes, I've not seen a lot (can be downloaded)

Friends recommend Caprica and V

Er, I watch a bit too much telly :nerd

Father Ted was proabably the smartest, funniest writing since Fawlty towers, probably better.

Had a friend who is a prop man round last night who worked on a few Hugh Laurie productions, apparently he is as big a knob as you will ever know.

doodab
22nd December 2010, 18:45
Blackadder boxed set is worth having.

BSG did lose it's way a bit towards the end.

I'm looking forwards to lost series 6, haven't watched it yet, I am half expecting it to be a pile of cock.

minestrone
22nd December 2010, 19:07
Had a friend who is a prop man round last night who worked on a few Hugh Laurie productions, apparently he is as big a knob as you will ever know.

My freind has been working on a Jason Isaacs thing for the BBC, he is making an arse of himself, Jason Isaacs that is, there was a scene where he was to give over a bag containg a laptop, the bag was loaded up with two books to make it look heavy "there is your bag Mr Issacs, put two books in it" "I need an apple mac in it" "why?" "for my method" So someone was sent down to the Apple store in Glasgow to get an mac, placed in bag, Isaacs hands it over in one 5 second shoot and then the mac has to get returned to the store.

VectraMan
22nd December 2010, 19:19
The new BSG was great, but it did end up a bit "up its own arse". But then Babylon 5 started "up its own arse" and went downhill. Very poor.

Blakes 7 is great, much better than you probably remember. Firefly is great, and the closest thing to a modern Blakes 7. Caprica was kind of okay so far, but the new V - well much better to get the old V (and V for Vendetta is unbelievable shite).

What else? I think the only good things on TV at the moment are The Big Bang Theory, and the repeats of Medium on Living.

Spacecadet
22nd December 2010, 19:59
Caprica has been cancelled... last few episodes will be shown early 2011

To add to the already good suggestions
Eureka - it is very silly but at the same time its entertaining enough, sort of like x-files/fringe but for airheads who find them too serious

Twin Peaks - old but still holds its own against newer series

Band of brothers and Pacific - both should be good and both are on my "to watch" list

Terminator the Sarah Conor Chronicles. Good, although series 2 is all over the place until the writers found out they were getting sacked and decided to go out in a blaze of glory

Prison Break - my wife swears by it and I have to admit, I was hooked when I watched the last half of the last season. I just have to go back and watch the rest now!

Breaking bad - someone on here recommended it. Simply put, it is superb, up there with the wire/sopranos

And of course Seinfeld.

One small note about Fringe if you do watch it, towards the end of season two there is a musical episode called Brown Betty. Do yourself a favour and fast forward the whole thing till the last 5 minutes, the whole episode was so bad it almost put me off Fringe

Bagpuss
22nd December 2010, 20:10
Rome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_(TV_series)

Platypus
22nd December 2010, 20:43
Sounds interesting. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Room)

Where/how did you watch this?

Amazon, £9.35
The Lost Room [DVD][2006]: Amazon.co.uk: Julianna Margulies, Kevin Pollak, Peter Krause, Craig R. Baxley: DVD (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Room-DVD-Julianna-Margulies/dp/B000RWDY6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293038808&sr=8-1)

I'm sure it can be torrented too! :wink
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/51060934/the+lost+room?tab=summary

Platypus
22nd December 2010, 20:46
Rome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_(TV_series)

Good call, I'd forgotten about Rome. Tosh, but I loved it!

Clippy
22nd December 2010, 22:26
Terminator the Sarah Conor Chronicles. Good, although series 2 is all over the place until the writers found out they were getting sacked and decided to go out in a blaze of glory

Prison Break - my wife swears by it and I have to admit, I was hooked when I watched the last half of the last season. I just have to go back and watch the rest now!

One small note about Fringe if you do watch it, towards the end of season two there is a musical episode called Brown Betty. Do yourself a favour and fast forward the whole thing till the last 5 minutes, the whole episode was so bad it almost put me off Fringe

I don't recal TSCC being 'all over the place' in S2 but, you are right, it did improve towards the end when the writers realised they were going to be on the bench.
Generally, they really tried to drag out the storyline which made the show suffer.

Prison Break is so OTT that it is brilliant - I liken it to a pantomime in some respects.

First and second seasons were great, third was meh and the fourth was OK and the final two specials were sad reflections of the series as they only filmed them after fan uproar to tie up the loose ends after they cancelled the series.

Your comment about Fringe ("the whole episode was so bad it almost put me off Fringe") made me chuckle as that was exactly what I thought after watching the first episode but, in my case, it did put me off it.

Spacecadet
22nd December 2010, 22:38
Your comment about Fringe ("the whole episode was so bad it almost put me off Fringe") made me chuckle as that was exactly what I thought after watching the first episode but, in my case, it did put me off it.

TBH i found the first 2 or 3 episodes hard work, the "science" was totally unbelievable but either i got used to it or it got better.

VectraMan
22nd December 2010, 22:42
I don't recal TSCC being 'all over the place' in S2 but, you are right, it did improve towards the end when the writers realised they were going to be on the bench.

I watched the first series, but didn't think much of it. I have a feeling V was done by the same bloke, because there were a lot of similarties: good action scenes, no plot or believable characters.

trsisko
22nd December 2010, 23:26
horrible taste in shows listen to me and only me

the wire is excellent so i know you have good taste and you're right about bgs apart from the final ep!
its way too post 911 based and became to simple a show with insane potential from day 1 perhaps?

anyway decent shows are
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Terriers
Justified
Boardwalk Empire
Rubicon

sick show's well worth watching!
comedy wise not much out there besides its always sunny in Phillidelphia but it's hit and miss.

norrahe
23rd December 2010, 00:43
I'll second Platypus on Breaking bad, well worth watching.

As for Boardwalk Empire; and Bunk will back me up on this, it is very slow going, but do persevere with it.

I think someone stated on thread regarding the Sopranos where there were similar recommendations by many (I think Scrag Meister may have started it) if you want to check that out??

Churchill
23rd December 2010, 07:57
Life On Mars

Another plus for the Sopranos and West Wing.

Started getting into 24

jmo21
23rd December 2010, 08:19
The Shield.

VectraMan
23rd December 2010, 10:28
Started getting into 24

Sky Two appear to be showing the whole of the last series of 24 today.

Platypus
23rd December 2010, 10:43
The Shield.

This does indeed get good reviews.

I have the first two seasons still shrink-wrapped. Bought them much more than a year ago now. Probably two years ago. Don't know why I've not given it a go. Too much other stuff on the go I think.

Platypus
23rd December 2010, 10:44
I'll second Platypus on Breaking bad, well worth watching.

I can't take the credit for that recommendation.

Lockhouse
23rd December 2010, 12:41
Sopranos & Breaking Bad (I think it was me who started it....)

Also Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Spacecadet
23rd December 2010, 13:17
Sopranos & Breaking Bad (I think it was me who started it....)

It was Eliquant (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/56370-breaking-bad-tv-show-simply-utterly-amazingly-good.html#post1145256)

Lockhouse
23rd December 2010, 13:43
It was Eliquant (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/56370-breaking-bad-tv-show-simply-utterly-amazingly-good.html#post1145256)

I stand corrected!

centurian
23rd December 2010, 14:18
Caprica has been cancelled... last few episodes will be shown early 2011

Deservedly so as well.

If Ron Moore had spent less time pushing his pro-smoking agenda (every adult character smoked) and devoted that effort to decent story writing, it might have lasted longer.

Bluespider
23rd December 2010, 14:37
My Current viewing list:

Dexter (all series)
Stargate Universe
An Idiot abroad
Cougar Town
Modern Family
Warehouse 13
Mad Men

eek
23rd December 2010, 15:54
My Current viewing list:

Dexter (all series)
Stargate Universe
An Idiot abroad
Cougar Town
Modern Family
Warehouse 13
Mad Men

don't rush to watch the ones in bold. They promise much but never deliver.

darmstadt
23rd December 2010, 16:06
Delivery man has delivered a DVD box set of series 4 of the Onedin Line, someone is going to have a right interesting Christmas :grey