• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winter Tyres

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Tyres

morning all,

hope you all had an excellent christmas day and meals and are well and truly stuffed and preparing for round two on boxing day

benes invoicing ltd and family are here in the benes-mobile and equipped with winter tyres

gotta say, a lorra lorra people starting to wonder about the merits of winter tyres over here now

amazing how the councils simply haven't taken care of the majority of lanes and smaller roads

unbeleivable

the shape of things to come in these times of austerity

Milan.

Indeed, starting to wonder myself. The roads generally are OK but ours is sheet glass and has been for well over a week now. Recommended then?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Definitely, some new cars are fitted with tyres suitable for Winter, I noticed my parent´s car was, and didn´t slide much on the ice.

There is a huge difference between normal tyres and winter tyres for grip, you only slide a bit with Winter tyres when there´s ice, and on snow or slush not at all.

A lot of the roads here in Germany are white, but with Winter tyres absolutely no problem.

Last year I drove in the mountains when it started snowing in October before I´d changed to Winter tyres and it was treacherous, my knuckles were white, gripping with fear.

So if you are sliding on snow, then change to Winter tyres. It´s a great experience after the knuckle whitening summer tyre experience. You can also go up and down hill without any problem.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

What BB said.

Also:

Winter tyres are made of a softer compound to get the grip, and will wear faster in the summer months,, so do change back to summer tyres once the risk of ice and snow is over usually Easterish time.

If you are planning on bringing your UK motor to mainland Europe during the winter months, remember that in Switzerland at least, winter tyres are not compulsory, but in a winter accident he who has summer tyres is automatically at fault. There was recent talk from Germany that they might make them compulsory during winter.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

If only Labour were still in power, we'd be getting heated roads by 2012.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Tell that to Heathrow!

Heathrow bosses knew an inch of snow would cripple airport - Telegraph
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Heathrow did have some heated taxi ways in the 60s but they were decommissioned. The main responsibly for BAA is the maximise company profits, keep aircraft flying is a secondary function.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Thanks, that's an interesting perspective on something I hadn't ever really thought about. Best to have spare set of wheels with the winter tyres on, I wonder what the insurance co's think. They ask about non standard wheels when you take out or renew a policy.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

You can ask for the garage to put the tyres on the wheels, usually doesn´t cost much and they´ll store the tyres for you, saves a lot of hassle.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X