• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forgot boxing day meal!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot boxing day meal!

At my grandfathers in a small village in West Scotland. I got a nice quick cooking chicken roast but mum forgot to take this. Found a local co-op selling chickens, but takes 2 hours to cook. Not happy as we wanted to be on the road at 5pm. Wish me luck as I will be driving back a very pissed off mardy mum with me through black ice and snow. Happy holidays.....

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    At my grandfathers in a small village in West Scotland. I got a nice quick cooking chicken roast but mum forgot to take this. Found a local co-op selling chickens, but takes 2 hours to cook. Not happy as we wanted to be on the road at 5pm. Wish me luck as I will be driving back a very pissed off mardy mum with me through black ice and snow. Happy holidays.....
    What the fack is one of them?
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      What the fack is one of them?
      kfc bucket
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        kfc bucket

I spent ages trying to talk a friend's wife out of - wait for this...

Part cooking the huge turkey on Christmas eve and finishing it off on Christmas day to save time
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

Part cooking the huge turkey on Christmas eve and finishing it off on Christmas day to save time
          Whaaaaat?!?!?! Wow. What an incredible idea.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            Whaaaaat?!?!?! Wow. What an incredible idea.
            Quickest route to food poisoning.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Quickest route to food poisoning.
              Hell yeah, you can parcook certain foods but not a whole bird.

You can cook the turkey in advance, let it rest and then slice it and re-heat the slices you need.
              Another thing you can do is par boil the spuds in advance, and then stick them on a roasting tray in the freezer, once they have frozen separately, stick them in a freezer bag. You can then in the day bung them in the oven in a roasting run of hot oil.

Gravy can also be done in advance, always make extra when you do your Sunday roasts, keep them in the freezer and then you can mix them with stock on the day and boil them with giblets and red wine.
              Last edited by norrahe; 27 December 2010, 23:26.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Maybe I missed something obvious, but what about just setting the oven timer to come on at 4am?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Maybe I missed something obvious, but what about just setting the oven timer to come on at 4am?
                  No timer on an Aga.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

No timer on an Aga.
                    Nice. But good luck trying to time anything We used to have a coal-fired range and while lovely, it was a definite art to cook anything.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X