• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT submission error

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT submission error

Hi, wonder if anyone can help, was about to submit the VAT for this last period, but when I revised my previous period calculation I realised I made an error in the spreadsheet, and the sum ommitted one of the months what is the best way to correct this, should I add the missing month's VAT to this period? Or should I call HMRC and explain what happened?

I'd call HMRC and ask their advice. You made an honest mistake and they should be able to help.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

straight from the horses mouth:

HM Revenue & Customs: What to do if you made a mistake on an earlier VAT Return

Comment

In my experience, the VAT people are surprisingly helpful and will turn a blind eye to small businesses making honest mistakes that are admitted as soon as they're known. I messed up a VAT return in 2007 that under-reported by nearly £3000, sheer carelessness by me, I called them and I had a very helpful guy spend about an hour on the phone with me talking me through how to ensure that my Sage package gave me the right figures next time. No fine, just a stern warning that it was now on my record and it increased my chances of a VAT audit.

That said, that opinion comes from dealing with them over the last decade but not really since the current government gained power, I know a few people who are grumbling that lately the VAT people are under pressure to push for fines and are being very intolerant.

Comment

Any error of up to 2 grand (I think) can be corrected on the next return. Over that and you'd better speak to them asap.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If your error is less than £10k, you can simply make the adjustment to correct it on this VAT return.

Comment

Working...
            X