• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We think we got it bad....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We think we got it bad....

my cousin told me about this at the weekend...

HM Revenue & Customs: Construction Industry Scheme
    : Introduction

they've also not got it easy

Milan.

Yes, it's their version of IR35, but much worse. It's been around for ages.
    I understand it's virtually impossible to be 'self employed' in the construction industry.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      my cousin told me about this at the weekend...

HM Revenue & Customs: Construction Industry Scheme
      : Introduction
      What are the headline features?

Comment

quite,

Milan.
        Last edited by milanbenes; 27 December 2010, 12:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Yes, it's their version of IR35, but much worse. It's been around for ages.
          I understand it's virtually impossible to be 'self employed' in the construction industry.
          It's been around since the 1980s, to my knowledge. It's a kind of PAYE for builders (called SC60 if I remember correctly)- the building company deducts tax from builders and then it's all supposed to come out in the wash at the tax year end.

In its early days, one chap down the local pub found that the company he had been working for went bust without paying the tax which had been deducted from him. The taxman still wanted it from him. In effect he had been working for a much lower rate than had been agreed.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
          X