• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Challenging Christmas Puzzle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenging Christmas Puzzle

In my Christmas stocking, Santa left me this wooden puzzle:

The instructions are:
    Can you make every row add up to 15?
    Every horizontal and vertical row, and the
    two corner to corner diagonal rows must
    equal 15.

After some noodling and re-arranging of the 25 tiles, I found a couple of solutions, neither the same as the one solution given in the box.

So I wrote a noddy program to try and find additional solutions, and more were revealed.
    Upon reflection, I feel there may be even more solutions

The challenge for the programmers and mathematicians among you then is this:
    Can you solve it?
    More importantly, how many solutions can you find?

I look forward to seeing your answers and comparing them with my own.

Instantly i see 8 solutions.

Take the 2nd horizontal row and move it one cube to the right, the 3rd row two cubes to the right and so on until you reach the bottom.

Do the same on the vertical axis.

oh I just realised my solution does not solve for the diagonal.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 27 December 2010, 14:43.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Instantly i see 8 solutions.

Take the 2nd horizontal row and move it one cube to the right, the 3rd row two cubes to the right and so on until you reach the bottom.

Do the same on the vertical axis.
      Just what I was going to say: 12345, 23451, 34521 etc. Do that moving left and right, then vertically, then you can turn each upside down, and you have eight.

And it does work diagonally. TL to BR, you'd have 13524 = 15.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

The instructions are:
        Can you make every row add up to 15?
        Every horizontal and vertical row, and the
        two corner to corner diagonal rows must
        equal 15.
        Well since 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15 each row, column, and diagonal must contain each of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

So the number of solutions must be a multiple of 5, because for each solution you can replace every occurrence of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 by 2, 3, 4, 5, 1 respectively and preserve all the sums.

As you can also flip solutions about either diagonal, and solutions cannot be symmetric about either diagonal, I'd guess there are 15 solutions in total.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Well since 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15 each row, column, and diagonal must contain each of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
          You'd think so, but is this not a solution, according to the rules?

5 4 3 2 1
          4 2 1 3 5
          2 1 5 4 3
          3 5 2 1 4
          1 3 4 5 2

However, the diagonals don't contain one each of 1,2,3,4,5 but they do add up 15 !

(correct me if I'm being stupid)

Comment

Here's a hard one:

All horizontal, vertical and main diagonals must sum to 3, as per rules before*

* Don't spend too much time on this

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              You'd think so, but is this not a solution, according to the rules?

5 4 3 2 1
              4 2 1 3 5
              2 1 5 4 3
              3 5 2 1 4
              1 3 4 5 2

However, the diagonals don't contain one each of 1,2,3,4,5 but they do add up 15 !

(correct me if I'm being stupid)
              Flip, yes, you're right - It's me being stupid.

So the diagonals needn't contain 1 - 5, and quite possibly neither do the rows and columns (although obviously if one uses too many large numbers in some rows there's a tendency to run out of large enough numbers to make up the required sum in the others).
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The real challenge would be to write a mathematical proof that demonstrates there are exactly n solutions.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                  The real challenge would be to write a mathematical proof that demonstrates there are exactly n solutions.
                  Yep, but I'm not smart enough to do that. Where's SAS ?

Comment

Flip, yes, you're right - It's me being stupid.
                    Not at all, that was my intuition also, and I've found 16 solutions which obey that rule. But I've also discovered some which don't obey that rule, which is what piqued my interest and prompted me to create this thread!

So the diagonals needn't contain 1 - 5, and quite possibly neither do the rows and columns (although obviously if one uses too many large numbers in some rows there's a tendency to run out of large enough numbers to make up the required sum in the others).
                    That's exactly what I'm wondering now !

Comment

Working...
                    X